We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic flights in US

Plaisance-du-Touch...
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Domestic flights in US

Hi,

We're planning a trip to the States in July. We aim to spend a few days in LA, then fly to Las Vegas, spend a few days there and then fly to San Francisco.

I was wondering whether now was a good time to buy tickets for domestic flights in the US or whether prices are likely to drop over the next couple of months.

Thanks very much

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic flights in US

Read the top questions about air travel above right "buy now or later" or accept my summary that "no one knows".

Plaisance-du-Touch...
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic flights in US

Thanks. I'll look at what's already been said

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic flights in US

Apart from repeating what Joe said you should see which airlines operate those routes using a search engine such as matrix but you should also look at Southwest who wont appear on matrix.

Southwest are a major low cost carrier in the US with the benefit that you can have 2 free checked bags which will incur an extra fee with most other carriers - flights to/from Las Vegas are obviously very popular in the US and assuming you have limited flexibility over your travel dates I'd be tempted to book sooner rather than later as availability on my preferred flight would be more of a concern than price.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

http://www.southwest.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic flights in US

You have some time to watch and see what dares normally are. No one knows if they will go up or down. Kayak.com is another good comparison site. Southwest fares need to be checked separately on their own website.

LA to Las Vegas is also driveable if you want to get a car.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,622 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic flights in US

Summer is high season for travel so if prices seem reasonable now I'd probably buy the tickets.IF prices seem high then I'd watch for a while and buy in the Spring. Generally if there are going to be price drops/"sales" they will be one season before the flight so in sprig for summer BUT there is no guarantee that prices will drop. It is a matter of supply and demand. If lots of seats are empty there will be a sale. If lots of people buy earl and fill the seats then there won't be a sale.No way to know ahead of time.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic flights in US

for flights to San Francisco

also look at flights to San Jose and Oakland and SFO

In L A you have choices like Long Beach, LAX

Burbank and to the east, Orange County

and Ontario.

Airlines to look at Airtran, Jetblue, Southwest and Virgin America

Edited: 10 January 2014, 13:28
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic flights in US

Have you considered train travel - have done the routes and very good service, many trains have observation carriages in upper floor

www.amtrak.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic flights in US

"Airlines to look at Airtran, Jetblue, Southwest and Virgin America"

Airtran was bought a while ago by Southwest. I believe if you book on the Southwest site now, they also show the Air train flights.

9. Re: Domestic flights in US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:18