We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

Oakland, California
1 post
Save Topic
I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

I have my certified court name changed certificate, but I just file my naturalization form for citizenship, so I did not change anything on my social card and driver license. It's been few months and I did my fingerprint already, I have a domestic flight on Feb and I book it with my new name. The thing I worry about is my driver license still not change yet because I need to wait after I pass the test. So is it ok if I show my name changed certificate when check it for the flight? Or do anyone know if it's okay to have a new driver license before the test? any effect? thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,566 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

This could be a very tough one. I would immediately call the airlines, and probably TSA. I would do this ASAP, to try for resolution, before you try to board a flight.

My wife's UA account, and her state-issued driver's license did not match her US Passport. She was required to have everything changed, to match her US Passport exactly.

Good luck,

Hunt

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

If you are travelling internally, do you have to have a passport?

Do you need a drivers licence? Have you asked the airline what forms of ID are required for your flight?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

I would also call the airline,

I'm struggling to really understand your post, but from what you have written it appears you are doing a domestic flight, in your new name, do not have a passport and wish to travel on your driving licence as Id only. As your driving licence is in your new name, you want to know if you can take your name change certificate to show with the drivers licence to enable you to fly.

I'm not sure many people can answer that other than the airline. I would call them and ask the question. If the answer is no, see if you can change the name on the certificate, or maybe you need to go for a new drivers licence.

However, this is really important, if the airline says you can fly with the certificate, you need to get that in writing, as you might find the agents have a different opinion on the day.

As for tsa, I'm not sure for domestic USA flights, so refer back to bills comment.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

This is a travel forum and not an immigration forum so let's focus on the travel part.

For a domestic flight you must provide a photo id issued by the government in most cases a drivers license or a state issued id and the particulars must match the info on the airline ticket. Ideally if you have a new DL then flying with the new name will not be an issue . As advised you may need to ask TSA about this as they are the gatekeepers at security and ask the airline as well but just telling the TSA agent, I spoke with Jennifer at united or xyz at the TSA would IMHO not be the right way -- you need something written or added to your record locator

Now when you should get your new DL -- that is not something this forum is the best place to ask. Ask your immigration lawyer

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

So you have a Learner's Permit in you previous name and your plan was to not change that until you also passed your driving test?

Can you get a new Learner's Permit in your new name? It takes all kinds of paperwork, but you have been through the process before.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

Hi

very simple answer

The name on your legal PHOTO ID must match the name on the ticket.

no photo no way

Must be Photo ID. issued by a government agency. State or federal.. drivers licence or passport.

not a student ID card or work ID or any type of paper work

7. Re: I book for a flight with my different name, is still valid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:17