We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volaris airlines: breaking the law with others or just me?

Lafayette, Indiana
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Volaris airlines: breaking the law with others or just me?

Volaris charged me over $700 for my infant daughter to fly with them, despite the fact that it's against Mexican federal law to charge for an infant. I had purchased tickets for my wife, daughter, and myself online with no problems. Upon arrival at Zacatecas (ZCL) for our flight to Chicago Midway (MDW), they said "the system" wouldn't let them check her in because she's two years old (despite the obvious fact to the contrary according to her Mexican *and* US passports). They couldn't get "el sistema" to let them issue a boarding pass because we were within the month that she turned two (she was 1 year, 11 months). They gave us the ultimatum: buy a full price ticket or don't fly. Not wanting to miss Thanksgiving dinner, we caved. But, as they were trying to buy the ticket for her as an adult "el sistema" wouldn't let them because she was not yet two years old!!! They eventually lied, entered an older age, and gave us the Customer Service number and email address for a refund. Essentially the *same* thing happened on the return flight... except this time they said they had absolutely no record of her ticket and forced us to buy another one. Naturally, customer service at Volaris is a joke in English or Spanish. In Spanish, they'll talk down to you, tell you it was your fault, and stonewall you. They'll refuse to let you speak to a supervisor. In English, they'll sound very nice and helpful and then do nothing, saying they'll call you back after checking with the airport for more details. Surprise, surprise, they never call back. If you then call them back, the supervisor (if you're lucky enough to get one... usually the reps just refuse to connect you) will not take your call, leaving you on hold for hours. If you hang up and work your way through Customer Service to the same supervisor... he'll tell his reps to tell you "he'll call you right back." Two months later, and many, many hours on the phone, still no refund. Next stop PROFECO? Anyone else have this problem? What's the next move (besides obviously never flying with them again and advising everyone I know to do the same)?

1. Re: Volaris airlines: breaking the law with others or just me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19