We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

Leicester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

Hi, I am hoping for some genuine advice on the following. Before I start, I realise I am to blame but being an inexperienced traveller just wanting to book a holiday for my family (2 young children) to celebrate my husbands recovery from a serious illness a few years ago, I should have done more research.

I booked a holiday through Sunmaster Holidays for Menorca, flying out July 2014. It is a dynamic package and I fully understand what this means and that it is not ATOL protected in the way package holidays are but the saving of £600 swayed me to take the risk as our budget is very very small. Anyway I researched the hotel I wanted and also read a good hundred or so reviews on Sunmaster, for the most part these were fine, a few negatives which were mainly about the price increases, hidden costs or rubbish hotels but I was aware of the system not being live and knew about the hidden costs so there were no nasty surprises on that part.

To cut a long story short, what I wasn't aware of at the time is that Ryanair do not allow third party bookings and are not obliged to honour them, now I am panicking that I will get to the airport and not be allowed to fly. I contacted Sunmaster and asked them to categorically confirm that this would not be the case which they did but of course they are going to say that now. I am able to access my booking on Ryanair website as I have the 4 last digits of the card used and the booking appears to be in my husbands name and shows as paid but it looks like Sunmaster have created an email address in his name.

What can I do? Feel like a fool, but I should have read Ryanairs T&Cs, why is a company allowed to get away with this and not tell me. Any advice would be appreciated. I have paid the deposit (£592) which covered the flights but have not paid the remaining £800. Thank you

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

You'll be fine it's a very long time since Ryanair did this and given their recent issues there is no way they will be pushing this issue right now, due to their financial situation, the last thing they need is lot of bad publicity.

Just make sure to check in online in good time and print boarding passes. As you'll be away when you need to print your return boarding passes, you'll have to find an Internet cafe or ask your hotel.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

What can you do? As joe says check in online, follow all the Ryanair rules and enjoy your holiday.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

You should be able to get boarding passes for your return before you go and it saves any hassle while you're away.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

Helshaw, as I read it, Ryanair changed their procedures due to allocating seats, and you can only get them 7 days in advance now. Maybe I'm wrong?

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

Didn't realise as we travelled with them a couple of months ago. That sounds like a pain ;-(

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,558 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

From 3rd March, so when the OP travels, it will open 30 days prior to each flight for people that choose to prebook seats. For those that don't it will open 7 days prior.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

You'll have absolutely no problem at all. Ryanair does not go after people like you. That clause is in their T&Cs a) to stop screencrapers (websites that trawl the web and offer to sell you other companies products at inflated prices and b) to protect themselves in case the agent you bought from did not give you the full T&Cs and you fall foul of them. Ryanair can then use that clause to further absolve themselves of any responsiility.

As you are aware, Sunmaster has simply bought on your behalf various aspects of your holiday (so as you note you have no ATOL protection). Nothing wrong with that, whether you do it online or on the High Street. (I was in an agency recently and watched the travel agent book Ryanair flights for two nuns who didn't have internet access. He told them he would print their boarding passes when the time was right. They just had to pop back to get them. He also printed Ryanair's T&Cs for them. Nothing wrong with that. People book Ryanair flights for other people all the time.)

Hopefully Sunmaster will forward any emails that they receive, but don't count on it. Check the booking regularly for any changes to flight times etc. In the lead up to the flight I would check it daily, even after you have checked in.

As for checking in,since you have all the details Ryanair requires, you will be able to check in no problem.

No need to feel like a fool. Just relax and enjoy your holiday when it comes.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

Thanks Leyland. So in other words they are forcing (or let's say, encouraging) most people to pay for seats in advance on the return leg as otherwise the hassle and cost of getting passes for the return is too much.

Leicester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

Thank you all, this has reassured me. I will of course follow Ryanair rules down to the letter so they have no reason to flag us up for anything. Thank you

10. Re: 3rd Party Travel with Ryanair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18