Before I start this tirade I will say the guy who works next to me likes Air Asia so opinions vary.
Here are the facts -
- Air Asia decided to fly out of sydney 80 minutes before curfew. Didnt make it. We were stranded. Noone was answering the phone. Tough luck. Hotel at our expense. The cheap flight was beginnning to cost us against other airlines who take responsibility for you.
- We booked through expedia. Went to check in. We werent sitting together. $30 to sit together. This isnt low cost its hidden cost.
- We specified my wifes vegetarian preference when booking. We thought that meant food. We were wrong.
- You have to preorder food. For a nine hour flight do you have any choice? This isnt low cost its hidden cost. They dont allow you to bring food or drink on board
- What is worse they serve the food as soon as you take off. On the return journey I asked for my breakfast to be served before we got into sydney. Sure they said. When it arrived it had been in the warmer all night. Inedible. Baked beans dry and crusted.
- The woman next to us started throwing up. The staff avoided coming anywhere near us instead of offering help.
- On one leg they started aggressively selling thier onboard merchandise. He may as well have had a megaphone. Awful experience. Multiple sales pitches.
- In KL they use an old airline building where the toilets are either squat or have a pipe coming out of the cistern (close the lid before flushing)
- Departing from KL we were herded into a holding room for an hour. You have to sit on the floor as there just arent the seats.
- dont take a last flight out of anywhere as every flight we took was late
- dont fly more than 4 hours. You wont eat.
- look carefully at the price. Compare them against airlines who will take care of you if you get stranded and dont spring extra charges. All up we would have been better off sitting on a cathay pacific flight.
Remember, if they are taking these shortcuts in the cabin they will be taking the same shortcuts in maintenance. I dont know of any of these cattle trucks falling out of the sky yet but it is a matter of time.