We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

Hi,

I am travelling from Manchester UK to San Francisco with a two hour change over at Philadelphia and I'm confused about US Airways baggage charges.

I realise transatlantic flights, first bag is free. But will I be charged 25 dollars when I arrive in Philadelphia to get on my flight to San Francisco?

And what about on the way back (I'm going Vegas to Philadelphia and then Philadelphia to Manchester UK)

Georgia

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

As long as all the flights are on one ticket you will be subject to the international baggage rules for all the flights. That means first bag free.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

Assume this is all one booking? if correct then NO, US Airways will give you the same 23kgs luggage allowance free of charge as they do for your international flights

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

If you are on one ticket on the same airline then you are basically flying from Manchester to SFO with a stop and while you do have to collect your bags in Philly you can drop if off just after customs as the bag will be tagged SFO and you won't have to pay

If your return is via Philly just as a layover for a connection it will still be treated as an international flight and the same international baggage rules will apply . You won't see your bag until you arrive in your home city

Edited: 11 January 2014, 11:08
Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

Thank you for your help and the quick response everyone, that's great :) they are all on the same ticket.

Georgia

Edited: 11 January 2014, 11:27
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

S.O.P. on all airlines I've flown on. If you had to overnight at the port of entry, you'd likely have to pay the domestic baggage charge (we did flying from GRU to ONT with an overnight at ATL).

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

Sutter-no always so flew UAL LHR-IAD-LAX with an overnight stay before flying onto CLD in the morning and there was no extra charge

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

I would be more concerned at the 2 hours window to clear Customs and Immigration in Philadelphia. I would never allow anything less than 3 hours connecting international to domestic (unless pre-cleared).

8. Re: US airways transatlantic/domestic baggage charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18