We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

Surrey, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

Be careful if you ever want to book a vacation in Hawaii at Castle Resorts. I booked and requested an ocean front condo seven months before the trip, this was a special surprise for my wife's 75th birthday. When I arrived I was assigned an ocean view room at the rear of the development. Neither Castle Resorts or Flight Centre(my booking agent) will accept any responsibility for the mistake. Instead we wasted an entire day of our vacation trying to secure a better condo, to no avail. I will never book with Castle Resorts or Flight Centre again.

Flight Centre claims they asked for and received confirmation of the ocean front condo, directly from the resort. The resort claims they had no knowledge of the request whatsoever. I checked on line mysel before booking with Flight Centre, and there were ocean front condos available.

Flight Centre is not a member of the Better Business Bureau. They book their resort reservations through a company called GoGo Travel in Calgary, there is no way that I can find that you can contact this company directly.

Al I know is that what was supposed to be a perfect vacation surprise for my wife was turned into a poor vacation, as Instead of watching the ocean and sun rises every day, we got to watch trees and grass, and not even a nice garden.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

>>>requested an ocean front condo<<<

Did you pay for a ocean front condo, or did you pay for something else, and that it was just a 'request'?

You cannot simply check online as to what is available - because Flight Centre is not purchasing retail inventory. You very likely only paid for what you received, not what you were 'hoping to receive'.

I'm sorry it happened to you, but it's a shame you wasted a whole day following up something like this, rather than make the most of it and followed it up later.

Surrey, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

It was all paid for when booked.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

Yes, not disputing payment.

What type of room/accommodation you paid for is the concern. What did your itinerary/confirmation specify? Did it say Ocean View Condo?

Edited: 11 January 2014, 20:24
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,347 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

I found some of the post confusing - you say you booked and requested an ocean front condo and the resort had no knowledge of the request, why would you request an ocean front condo if you had booked one?

Was the condo allocated the same price as the one you booked/requested - I know of some resorts where you can book for example a 2 bed condo which might have different views and you can request a beach or garden view but these are never guaranteed.

Surrey, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

I asked for ocean front, when the booking confirmation came it said ocean view, I immediately wrote to Flight Centre, they advised me that it had been confirmed with Castle Kahi Lani as Ocean Front. But I never actually got an itinerary with the change, only emails from flight centre.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

Then I suspect you only paid for the ocean 'VIEW'.

Did the emails from the Flight Centre explicitly state that your change request has been confirmed?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,619 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

Did you pay for Ocean Front or Ocean View?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,681 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

Hi RW, welcome to the forum ~

Interesting that you used the Park Royal store as your location is Surrey! That's a bit of a hike. Not to mention the bomb site for the parking lot construction, making parking really difficult. Let's look at this outside of Castle Rock and Flight Centre.

Sorry your special occasion was affected by this mix up with your booking.

I think it's fair to say that this mix up can happen with any resort that offers ocean front rooms as well as partial ocean view rooms. And I think it's also fair to say many travel agents, not just FC ones, can have their heads on straight, sideways or backwards, or just be busy with seasonal or destination-based busy-ness. So it's not a good plan to swear off these two businesses as you may very well run into the same thing again unless you implement some personal planning techniques.

It sounds as though you were on top of this ocean view booking and asked about it. Sometimes that is not enough. I think it is important to get changes in writing. In this case asking FC to email you the confirmation by the hotel for:

>>they advised me that it had been confirmed with Castle Kahi Lani as Ocean Front. But I never actually got an itinerary with the change, only emails from flight centre.<<

Having your arrangements updated in writing, from the source, is really the only way to go. It's a bit like getting a quote for electrical work, making a couple of adjustments but not getting them written up. Nothing in writing to fall back on.

IMO, managing the travel agent who is managing your travel plans and bookings is something that needs to be done by the traveller no matter who you're dealing with. Asking the TA to forward the email confirmation they got from the hotel is a reasonable thing to ask. Checking that the TA knows the difference between ocean front and ocean view is a reasonable thing to do. Tighten up your involvement next time, no matter which trav agent you use or where you stay.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 01:57
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,681 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

**Castle Resorts**

10. Re: Flight Centre Park Royal Poor Service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 18:36