We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe Backpack Help

Knoxville, Tennessee
10 posts
Save Topic
Europe Backpack Help

I am planning a backpacking trip throughout southern Europe starting in mid May and staying for 25 days with a little flexibility in that. Here is my basic itinerary:

Madrid, Barcelona, (4 day trip to Morocco) Rome, Athens, Greek Isles, Istanbul

Staying a few days in each location should give us around 20 days and then a few extra travel days. Do you think its a better idea to stay in one place more than a few days or is this okay? We would like to see as many places as possible. We are young and don't mind short flights to each of these places. Any help or tips would be great! Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe Backpack Help

7 places, 25 days = 3.5 days per place. You lose a day each time you change places so that's 2.5 days per place

Oh - the Greek Isles are kinda spread out

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe Backpack Help

Whatever you do take note of each airlines baggage policy, size and weight and stick to them. European carriers are very strict regarding enforcing rules.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe Backpack Help

You could spend 25 days visiting "a few Greek Islands" let alone everywhere else.. 2.5 days is one island alone. Pick a big one with good connections by air because you don't have time for ferries. Rhodes, Crete, Santorini probably best bets.

Don't make the classic mistake that the more places you visit the more you see, eg "We would like to see as many places as possible" ;to give a silly example if you visit 25 places in 25 days you'd spend all your time travelling and see nothing, so you need to find the right balance. I would say that 5 would be a better balance than 7. Good luck.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe Backpack Help

It sounds like your goal is to see as many places as possible as opposed to having actual ideas of what you'd like to see/do in each location.

I could easily spend a week in Barcelona and a week in Rome but that's because I read about places and then list the sights/activities I'd like to see/do and THEN decide how many days I need to accomplish this.

Just making a list of places with no idea of how long you need in each spot is not how I would travel!!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe Backpack Help

and this has what to do with air travel?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe Backpack Help

Given tbrouss1's overly exuberant itinerary and that s/he said 'we don't mind short flights to each of these places' the next question will probably be 'how can I find the cheapest flight between Barcelona and Morocco / Rome and Athens etc'

After having reduced your itinerary to something more achievable, consider some journeys by rail. The trains between Mardrid and Barcelona are fast and frequent; from Barcelona you could take the train to Algeciras and ferry to Tangier.

For those journeys you will need to fly, compare the full price of a flight with a low cost carrier and a mainline airline before choosing the former as a default. MrMarcoos' post two is worth re-reading before booking. Use a flight search website like www.skyscanner.net but when you do book, do so directly with the operating carrier rather than through any third party booking site.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe Backpack Help

from Barcelona you could take the train to Algeciras and ferry to Tangier.

-------

Fine if they had months to do it, or this was their only side trip, but in this case they don't have the time to be faffing around with an entire days transport just as they don't have the time to go island hopping in the Cyclades.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,231 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe Backpack Help

You'd mainly see the departure/arrival lounges of various airports (or equivalent on train stations). Which tend to look a lot like each other IME.

I think you're overlooking how long it takes to check in and depart from airports - and then get into and back from towns/cities and are being a tad optimistic with timetables (esp ferries). In other words quite a lot of money to achieve very little. I'd invest in a bit more research into plane and train travel (the excellent seat61.com is great for the latter) and invest in a guidebook or two and then make a more informed decision on your priorities for this trip.It feels a bit random at the moment and probably isn't viable anyway.

Knoxville, Tennessee
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Europe Backpack Help

The flights to Morocco and to each of these places have been researched and are much cheaper and faster than ferries and rails. Yes it might be reasonable to do the Greek Isles on a different trip which would for sure leave around 3-4 days in each city which seems to be a very reasonable trip. Thanks for the tips.

10. Re: Europe Backpack Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:18