We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time International traveller

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
1st time International traveller

I'm flying from Adelaide to Fort Lauderdale in March to go on a cruise. The flight is out of Adelaide through Sydney and onto Los Angeles then fort Lauderdale. The return flight is via Melbourne The flight to los Angeles is with Virgin Aust then the remaining leg to FLL is Virgin America. Can anyone give me some advice on the procedures at the various airports regarding checking luggage, customs etc. At what points do I collect and recheck luggage, when do I have to go through customs? I have done some research but someone may have done this exact trip?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
91,252 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time International traveller

Flying out, you will go through Australian outbound Passport Control at Sydney. Your luggage will be checked through to Fort Lauderdale, but on arrival at LA you will go through US Immigration and will then have to collect your luggage to go through US Customs. As you come out of Customs, there will be people to collect your luggage to put it on your next flight.

Flying back, there are no passport or customs formalities as you leave the US. When you arrive in Melbourne, you go through Customs, collect your luggage, then go through Customs and Quarantine. I assume that Virgin will have a way of collecting your luggage for the onward flight, but I don't know the detail.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time International traveller

Not sure about your flights and itinerary, but I would advise you schedule your arrival in FLL the day before your cruise. You don't want to get delayed en route and miss the boat (literally).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,839 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time International traveller

In my experience customs in the US are more of a formality for most unless you have things to declare or look suspicious. Immigration or passport control and waiting for bags is what takes most of the time . It is best to have a 3 hour layover at LAX when you come to the US and at least 2 hours when you leave

Virgin. Aust uses Terminal B and Virgin America uses terminal 3 and you can walk between the two at LAX

4. Re: 1st time International traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:17