We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

Virtually all airlines have ancillary fees of some sort these days. Whether it's for advance seat selection, checked baggage, cabin baggage, etc. etc.

Just out of curiosity, what's the most annoying airline fee that you've seen, encountered or paid?

It doesn't have to be the largest fee, just one that makes you roll your eyes. It'd be interesting if you also state whether you've actually paid it.

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

Easy Jet charges extra for "speedy boarding" but when you join the queue and discover most of the flight paid for it, it ends up rather frustrating and pointless!

Fred

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

Why bother with speedy boarding if all seats are now allocated?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

"Fuel surcharge"

An oldie but a goodie. It's always there, no matter which direction fuel prices have been going lately.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

I haven't paid it, but I think QANTAS charging $30 AUD per passenger per booking for international flights paid for with a credit card. I understand that in the great scheme of things, and when compared with the total cost of international flights, $30AUD isn't a huge amount, but effectively you pay QANTAS for the privilege of making your own booking.

I would love to know what the merchant fees are like for credit card payments for international flights to know if this is justified. Personally I would prefer the $30 was part of the ticket cost - ignorance is bliss - rather than be told about it and feel a bit gouged. Air NZ has a similar fee (which I have paid) but I'm sure it's not quite that high.

P.S. if you BPAY with QANTAS you don't get his with this fee, so it is avoidable to a certain degree, not sure how convenient BPAY is but I would be tempted to try it in the future.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

The fee to use their headphones - Stupid!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

I have to agree with the fuel surcharge. This was introduced by most airlines when the price of fuel went up dramatically a few years ago. It has since become a permanent and non-optional feature. And sometimes not included in the advertised price.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 02:17
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

-Being charged an offline booking if you book by phone when the airline's website doesn't allow you to book the itinerary on their lousy website,

-Airlines that charge carry on fees and checked bag fees.

-Fuel surcharge. Understandable maybe when prices skyrocket rapidly, but otherwise just gouging. Add it to the base fare at least so you aren't hit for it when using miles.

-APD ex-UK. Ridiculous charge levied in the name of being green.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

To book your seat which used to be free. I do pay it now as I like certain seats but it still an annoyance that the full service airlines have realized what a bonus it is for them to charge for it :D

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,589 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

The $0.25 fee for toilet paper...

No. I have not encountered any fees, that seemed to be odd, out-of-place, or even humorous.

Now, the US $7.95 for a few wines in Coach are a bit out of line, but then we do get UA drink coupons with our 1K kit. Actually, in a trans-continent flight recently, the white wine in FC was pretty poor. I offered to BUY two little bottles of the wine from Coach, and the FA had them, and refused to charge - the white wine WAS better "in the back of the plane."

Wish that I could contribute to the thread, but will read for an education, and maybe a laugh, or two.

Hunt

Sorry.

Hunt

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the most annoying airline fee you've seen?

Qantas' fees to use a credit card to pay are exorbitant, as they are per sector, per person. It costs no more than, say $1 to process credit card payments, so the airline is clearly profiting. Interestingly, I was not charged these fees ex-HKG when I booked with them for a holiday to Australia. They seem to apply to ex-Australia bookings, or to Australia domestic. Perhaps it's against the law here in HK or something? So only the person taking the opposite route, ie AU-HK vv, pays those terrible fees.

I also hate paying for seat selection on full-service carriers. Malaysia Airlines, I'm talking to you!