We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cathay pacific business class

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
cathay pacific business class

i just flew HK to London in a cathay pacific business class. In a cabin of 40 seats in the business class, there were, I counted, no less than 10 children, all ranging from less than 12 months to 5 or 6 years old. I was luckily surrounded by the 12 months, a 2 year old and 2 boys of about 5 or 6. I chose the cathay pacific business class thinking of the private booths with privacy peace and quiet, especially when I needed the rest to work immediately on touch down, but it turned out with so many kids in that cabin, I was in the constant anticipation of an explosion of shouting, laughter, crying or screaming from the children around me.

I agree completely any child has a right to fly in any class of seats, and certainly would not discriminate against this. But perhaps some policy of grouping babies together would be helpful to long haul travellers ?

Does anyone have the same experience? Does any airline have policy of grouping children and parents together as much as possible and thus possible giving a hassle free long haul journey to other passengers?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,042 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cathay pacific business class

You say you were in 'constant anticipation' of disruption. Did it actually happen? I ask because I flew the same route a few months back, there were a number of children in business class but there was no disruption that I can recall, so it was a non issue.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cathay pacific business class

Grouping UMs together I may be able to understand but grouping kids travelling with non-kids seems to largely pointless. Wouldn't really make much difference.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cathay pacific business class

Very good points raised already in the above posts.

Pointless exercise 'grouping' them together.

And did anything happen, or was it merely the anticipation that bothered you? If nothing happened, then it's absolutely a non issue, and you've worked yourself up.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,218 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cathay pacific business class

I don't think grouping is going to work out from a logistic perspective. The children are likely sitting somewhere next to or close to their parents/guardians. Many of them may have pre-selected seats with their own booking record.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cathay pacific business class

I have to admit, my initial response was the same as that of KVE and Brittraveler - was there a problem?

If not, then what's the basis of the gripe?

Why do so many people seem to have a problem with children? In 40 years of flying round the world, I've encountered all kinds of disruptive behavior on planes from all sorts of people - most of them adults who should know better. and yet the mere sight of a baby or toddler on a plane can send some people into a panic.

Cathay provide noise canceling headphones and eye masks in Business Class. Even a crying child should not have been a problem.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 04:26
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cathay pacific business class

Sounds like you were getting worked up over something that didn't happen. I fly business class and if I ever had kids, they'd be up the pointy end with me. To be honest, you would be more bothered by some over entitled people from this part of the world acting like spoilt children than actual children!

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cathay pacific business class

Invest in a good pair of earplugs. I never travel without mine.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 08:01
Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cathay pacific business class

There's been talk in the past of airlines creating a kid zone and surveys asking if people would be prepared to pay more on a kid free flight but nothing ever comes of it, we usually fly outside the school holidays so it's not a problem but I can imagine what it must be like during July and August on a long haul flight full of kids.

9. Re: cathay pacific business class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:18