We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stressed out

Woodbridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stressed out

So I have a layover connection I guess whatever you call it in Amsterdam with my final destination in Rome, Italy.

How long does customs & immagration take to go through? I only have an hour in Amsterdam so would that be enough time to go through immagration & find my gate?

Do the signs in the airport have english on them or should I learn the dutch words for Rome & my gate information?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,448 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stressed out

English is widely spoken in the Netherlands and pretty much every major (and minor!) airport I've been to across six continents.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stressed out

Everything in Schipol is signposted in English, you'll be fine.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,196 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stressed out

no customs, only immigration

Woodbridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stressed out

What's the immagration process like?

5. Re: Stressed out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 January 2014, 21:05
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,196 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stressed out

It's like asking what's it like at Heathrow, sometimes good, sometimes there are queues.

At its worst no more than 20 minutes.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stressed out

We have changed planes in AMS many times in the last three years. We just get off the arriving flight and leave on the departing flight. We have never passed through immigration or customs. We just stay on the secure side of the airport. There is a security check at the gate of the departing flight, and you will be asked a series of questions before you are permitted to board. It is also not unusual for your arriving flight to be met by security officers who may ask to see your passport and ask a few questions, but this does not usually produce a long delay.

It is a huge airport, and I would personally plan for more than one hour to connect with an on-going flight, but if your arriving flight is on time you should be able to make your connection. Signs are all in English, and almost every employee speaks English. I generally study a map of a new airport before I arrive so I have a sense of where I need to go.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,760 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stressed out

The normal practice in the European Schengen area is that passengers go through Immigration at the first airport in the area, and luggage goes through Customs at the final destination.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stressed out

Busy-retired, at a guess you may not go through immigration at AMS because you will be flying to IST, but Linda is flying to Rome and as such will need to go through immigration at Schiphol because it will be her first point of entry to Schengen.

As above, there are plenty of signs in English, and for a large airport I think AMS is easy to navigate through. At immigration you will find queues for EU / EEA passport holders and All Other Passports - if you hold a US passport, choose the latter queue. You will be asked your destination and how long you plan to stay and perhaps a casual 'what will you do in Rome?' type of question. It's rare in my experience that the passport control process in Europe has been anything but low key and easy to do.

One thing, though, is that your passport must be valid for at least three months after the duration of your stay in the Schengen zone. If it is not then you will need a new passport before travelling.

You will go through Customs at Rome airport. That will be a quick walk through the blue Travellers from the EU channel or the green Nothing to Declare channel.

An hour at Schiphol isn't a lot, and ideally you would have more time than that, but if not then you'll have to make do. www.schiphol.nl has lots of information in English and plenty of photographs and schematics so have a look at the website to get an idea of what to expect before wheels down.

If you are flying home from FCO to AMS and then back to the States, you will again go through departure immigration at AMS, your point of exit from Schengen. Your passport will be stamped on both arrival and departure from the Schengen zone.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stressed out

Courtesy of forum regular and destination expert on Amsterdam, Ronaldo C -

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c170368/Amste…

Linda, you are doing a "non-Schengen to Schengen" connection.