We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

Hi, all - my husband and I will be going to Montego Bay for the first time. We have a direct non-stop flight from Winnipeg. We're wondering where we'll have to go through customs. My husband thinks Montego Bay, but I'm convinced we'll have to do it in Winnipeg (and, accordingly, we'll have to give ourselves some extra time). Can you help?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,488 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

Montego Bay.

If you were flying to the US, or via the US, then you'd pre-clear immigration and customs (they are two very different things!) in Winnipeg.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

You mean that I have to tell my husband he was right? Rats! :)

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,901 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

Definitely Montego Bay. Many countries have outbound immigration but not all. And you always need to go through immigration and customs upon arrival to a new country except in a few limited circumstances like the US pre-clearance in Canada.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

mobay...why would you leave Winnipeg?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

As the OP indicates their flight is a direct nonstop to Jamaica.......the Customs and Immigration will be cleared upon arrival in the Caribbean.

YWG has pre-clearance for US destinations (not the case here)

Your passports will be checked by the gate agent in YWG...but nothing beyond that. Upon landing in Jamaica, you will clear Customs.

Ha Ha Sandra B.....yeah YWG is such the hot spot this time of year......

Safe Travels.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

Saskatoon humour wrt the peg

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

Thanks, guys! That helps a lot. At least we won't have to leave for the airport at Zero Dark Thirty like I'd feared.

Ha ha, Sandra B! Yup, it'll be tough dragging ourselves away from a Winnipeg winter, but we'll manage somehow. :)

8. Re: Flying from Winnipeg to Montego Bay -where to clear customs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:19