We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aerosol in checked luggage

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
aerosol in checked luggage

Heading to Bali soon and have purchased an aerosol insect repellant to take for my 3 young children. Will they allow that in my checked in luggage. We are travelling with Air Asia and i cant find anything on there website.thanks

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,562 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aerosol in checked luggage

I would ask the airline directly. Flying Asiana a few years ago I had to throw away aerosol cans of mosquito repellent as they are considered flammable/hazardous in hold luggage.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aerosol in checked luggage

You are not allowed to have anything flammable in checked luggage, including flammable aerosol spray. If it is non-flammable, there should be no problem.

If it is flammable, the pack will have warnings about not using near naked flame.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aerosol in checked luggage

Thanks for that. I just checked the can and it has the flammable sign on it, so i will have to buy a gel form.

I got the bushmans brand because it has deet and my children seem to attract the mozzies. However the gel form has 80% deet and I am not sure if this is safe to use for kids. I will have to research it. Can anyone suggest a gel insect repellant that actually works. Cheers and thanks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,554 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aerosol in checked luggage

According to IATA regulations, aerosols in Division 2.2 for sporting or home use are permitted in checked baggage.

5. Re: aerosol in checked luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:18