We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

I'm trying to plan out the best way and if at all possible for direct flights for the following

SYDNEY - LAX

LAX - HONOLULU

HONOLULU- SYDNEY

We will be travelling in April but I can't seem to find an airline that will allow a stopover in Honolulu on the way back.

Should I be looking at another combination?

Perhaps Sydney to Honolulu return, then internal return flight from Honolulu to LAX.?

Does anyone have any experience with this route?

I was told by a travel agent that Hawaiian airlines may release fares fairly soon that will include a stopover. Not sure what to do. Would appreciate any advice, thank you!.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

"We will be travelling in April but I can't seem to find an airline that will allow a stopover in Honolulu on the way back."

Not sure where/how you are searching but a search on kayak using the multi city option for random April dates came up with an itinerary as follows

Syd - Lax : Non stop with Virgin Australia

Lax - Hon: Non Stop with Delta

Hon - Syd : Non stop with Virgin Australia (operated by Hawaiian Airlines)

The result was available via Expedia but should be available via either Delta or Virgin Australia as the relevant airlines are partners.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

Thanks John, I will have another look. From memory the prices were quite high if we wanted non stop flights

We would like to keep our budget for flight for the 4 of us to under $7,000 if possible.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

You didn't name your exact dates, but Hawaiian already has flights with stopovers in HNL for your routing. They fly from HNL-SYD on Tues, Thurs & Sat. Not sure why a TA wouldn't know that or be able to easily find it out.

However, picking random dates in April, prices for what you want to do for four people on Hawaiian totals over $13,000. I am sure you can do better. Try using matrix.itasoftware.com and playing around with dates and routing combinations.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

Ok great, thank you for the link. I shall take a look.

5. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 13:15
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

Thanks Nick,

We Fly out April 2, Syd - LA

Then LA - Honolulu, 12th April

Then Honolulu to Syd, 28th April

I keep getting fares over $11,000 with a Stoppver in Honolulu, from Sydney to LAX.

I select multi city so Im not sure what I am doing wrong

We would prefer non stop flights

I'll keep seaching thanks!

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

would it be easier using Jetstar sydney return to Hawaii & then doing Hawaii to La return with another airline.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

Yes possibly. I'm trying to do it with direct flights and no stopovers as we have young kids

But we may have no choice but to stop in honoloulu on the way then get a connecting flight to L.A.

There are so many combinations , it's just a matter of getting a decent price for everything.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

Is price being affected by school holidays anywhere?

Edited: 18 January 2014, 01:53
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney to Lax return with stopover in Hawaii on way back

I'm sure it is. Easter is in April, and schools in the US have spring break anytime from March through April.