We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

Hey fellow travelers! I'm searching for a ticket to Greece in May from New York and I found two good priced tickets on both SAS and Swiss Air. I've heard nothing but good things about Swiss Air but not much feedback regarding SAS. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

Which class of travel?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,290 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/sas.htm

You can always get reviews on Skytrax

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

Coach

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

Swissair collapsed many years ago. Are you sure about the airlines you are considering?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,103 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

I expect the OP means Swiss.....

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

They both offer a great price. The only other options in my price range are Turkish air and United. I've heard great things about Swiss but nothing really about SAS.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

Hey Bklyngrl11:-) Having flown www.swiss.com/ dozens of times.. it is my carrier of choice when heading to Greece in the off-season (I usually opt for a direct in season if available.. lately it's been DL out of JFK) Nonetheless, Swiss offers great connections via both Zurich and Geneva.. can't comment on SAS since I've never flown them for the route;-) FWIW, Turkish Air flies all the way to Istanbul and backtracks to Athens on the connection.. UA often uses Lufthansa equipment.. connecting either to Lufthansa or Aegean Air for the connection via Germany! Bottom line and IMO, Swiss is a great carrier getting to Athens from NYC area;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

I have only flown SAS within Europe to Sweden so it was a short flight but have flown Swiss a number of times on long Haul flights and have always had a positive experience and I like the organisation of Zurich airport even though it costs an arm and a leg to buy a coffee.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

Flown on both these airlines numerous times within Europe. They are much of a muchness and both are good. Presuming a long haul flight is the same I would go with the one that offers the best times and connections, if price is similar.

I agree that it seems daft to fly to Istanbul and then back track.

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I fly SAS or Swiss Air from NYC to Athens, Greece

Thanks everyone! I ended up booking a flight from Newark to Athens via Zurich on Swiss Air. Short connection and great price! We decided to take a side trip to Istanbul before heading back to the states and when I changed the return city to Istanbul for the return flight, the price dropped over $300! Very happy with my purchase and I look forward to flying on Swiss Air. May can't come soon enough!