We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA v Virgin

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
BA v Virgin

Hi all - looking at booking a trip to Florida and East Coast for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Have only flown with Virgin in the past (but that was 15 years ago!!) so not sure which one would be best for most legroom (can't afford business class), service etc.

Many thanks all xx

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA v Virgin

Hi

We have only flown BA to the States out of those two. Very satisfied with everything. I'm guessing that they will be pretty much the same in economy as far as leg room goes. BA are always our 1st choice and if you are flying from T5 we like that terminal, always seems empty (at least when we fly).

Clive

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA v Virgin

Very little difference between them.

You'll probably get best legroom flying united and choosing economy plus for an extra 20% above economy (guess) similar for American with their preferred seats or whatever it's called. Otherwise it's roughly double the fare with BA or Virgin for premier economy.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA v Virgin

Both will be comparable in Economy and both offer Premium Economy if your budget can stretch to that - in my opinion the standard on BA is more consistent with Virgin failing to live up to their TV ads. The punch line on their current ad is "Flying in the face of ordinary" but ordinary is the best description of a Virgin flight.

I'd favour BA unless Virgin offered significantly better prices/times.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA v Virgin

I agree with Tom. Go with the one the give the best price as their product is very similar. Service will all depend on the crew on the day!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA v Virgin

We have always been dedicated customers to Virgin Atlantic.

I realise some people are un-satisfied with their services, however all the previous occasions we have flown with them, I have always been incredibly impressed with the excellent product they provide.

For 1: IFE is superior to BA, newer films and a wider variety of options.

Depending where you're flying from: Gatwick: 747-400 - all recently refurbished and are absolutely amazing, you even have the opportunity to sit in the bubble if you're booked in for either premium economy or economy.

Seats very comfortable, IFE faultless and food is surprisingly good. I am around 6ft tall, and have no issues with the seats. However when I flew with BA my armrest did reduce the width of the seat, this was particularly disruptive.

I would seriously consider Virgin Atlantic.

(Flying with them early next month, to Miami and later to Orlando, will keep you all updated)

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA v Virgin

Hi

Try reading up and compare on www.seatguru.com they tell you about each airline. Also most aircraft type (you do need to know which aircraft they will be using on your route) have been filmed and loaded onto youtube.

Clive

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: BA v Virgin

The other bonus with ba is the avios collected. On a flight to the East Coast and return, in economy, you will earn just under 9,000 avios each. If you top up to 9,000 using clubcard vouchers then you have enough for a retun flight to Nice, Milan, Paris, Berlin (plus many others). You'd only have to pay £35 cash to that, so good for a cheap european break after the US holiday (subject to availability obviously).

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA v Virgin

"The other bonus with ba is the avios collected"

Virgin also have a frequent flyer program (though admittedly, I find it less useful than BAs)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,531 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA v Virgin

I would go on as to which had the lowest price. If the price was similar then BA would edge it.

10. Re: BA v Virgin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:19