We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I rebook or leave as is?

Level Contributor
482 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
should I rebook or leave as is?

In November we booked Aegean Airlines from Barcelona to Athens, arriving in Athens at 15:45. Olympic posted their flights from Athens to Milos (our final destnation) leaving Athens departing Athens at 16:25 but I was afraid to book with the short transfer time. In late November Aegean posted this combination of flights through their site, Barcelona to Athens, Athens to Milos, as an option if going from Barcelona to Milos. After some frustration I ended up booking Athens to Milos on Olympic.If these are booked as is and we miss this tight connection, what happens? Should I try to change? Both legs are booked as 'flex flights'.Thanks much.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 02:30
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

Hey NEtrekker:-) These carriers are in the process of merging.. when are you traveling?! Would send an email off to both explaining the situation and see what response and/or solution they offer prior to doing anything:-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Level Contributor
482 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

Sorry, correction to above post. The flight Athens to Milos was also through the Aegean. The flights were not booked at the same time. Does this matter?

Level Contributor
482 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

Thanks, Litsa. The flights are on May 30.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

My pleasure NEtrekker:-) Since both flights are on Aegean, I'd send an email giving them both PNR (res #s) and see what they come back with.. although not sure, chances are they'll be able to check you all the way through in Barcelona to Milos.. that would be my guess even with 2 separate bookings/tickets.. but best to hear it from the horse's mouth;-)

Are the flights still with a 3:45p arrival and a 4:25p departure connection?! That's cutting it very close considering the cut-off time is about half an hour prior giving you practically no leeway for any incoming delays.. hopefully, you'll be able to check through all the way in Barcelona.. boarding pass in hand when you get to Athens and luggage checked through would certainly be the way to here with this time spread;-) FWIW, Aegean is a fabulous carrier with great customer service;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Level Contributor
482 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

Thanks Litsa,

I will check with them. The short layover was also my concern and we had originally planned to try to get a ferry to Milos that evening. Decided that since Aegean now has these legs paired on their site we'd give it a try, knowing that we may end up a night in Athens/Pireaus. It would be great if Aegean is able to rebook us all the way through.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

With seperate tickets you'll be on your own if you miss your connection and will have to buy a new ticket at walk-up rate unless the airline takes pity and makes an exception to their rules.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

Safer to have buffer so you would not miss your flights.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

You're welcome NETrekker:-) Since Aegean already has the flights listed/paired as a legal connection from Barcelona to Milos with that plane change in Athens, am guessing they'll work with you;-) Again, see what they say in response to your email.. regardless, that does appear like a tight connection even if legal.. but have seen way worse, lol! FWIW, the airport in Athens is new, modern and super user-friendly all under 1 roof or terminal building.. one of the best airports to transfer through;-) You can check it out if you wish at www.aia.gr/ Keep us posted.. keep enjoyiin'!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

If you do connections, you better book single tickets with connections. That said, Olympic is owned by Aegean and carries out domestic flights. It is likely the package from Aegean also had the second leg with the same flight of Olympic, so even if you miss it you will not lose your money and they will pay for a hotel for you, provided you flight is connected.

10. Re: should I rebook or leave as is?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:16