We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

I know that Silk is a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines, but do they support the ability to check baggage through and connect airside? or does Silk work as an independent 'budget' point-to-point airline?

I am looking at a flight schedule that has 2 hours between arriving into Singapore (Changi SIN) at 05:55 (T3) on a Singapore Airlines flight, departing on a Silk Air flight at 07:55 (T2).

If I can check baggage right through at the start of my journey and simply transit airside from T3 to T2, I think this will work. If I have to get my baggage, pass immigration, re-check in and pass back thro' immigration it won't!

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

Mark

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
665 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

If you buy a single ticket, checked-in luggage should be transferred to a connecting flight. Even if you buy tickets separately, 2 hours should be enough time to transfer at Changi.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

You should get the boarding passes for your Silk Air Flight and check your bags all the way through. It should have been sold to you as one ticket. Silk Air is not a budget airlines by any means but the full service regional arm of Singapore airlines ( Tiger and Scoot are the Budget subsidiary).

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

If for some reason you have separate tickets and they cant issue your Silk Air boarding passes at Heathrow/Manchester, you can check in at the Transfer Lounge in Changi T2 airside ( no need to go through immigration or collect luggage ). Show the check in staff your luggage tags and you bags will be transferred for you.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,634 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

Silk Air is not an LCC - rather a short haul version of SIA, and has full service connections with the parent

(Scoot is the LCC for SIA)

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

Excellent news - it looks like my proposed itinerary will work!

Thanks for all the replies

Mark

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

Your Silk Air boarding passes will be issued at your UK Airport and your luggage will go straight through. Silk Air are not a budget airline and you will get refreshments on board.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 15:35
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

We are going to travel next week, and on Fri morning (local) will switch from arrival @ 7.35 am from LHR to departure @ 8.40 am to USM.

Originally, the departure was 20 min later, but was changed by the airline.

Anyone experience with this flight? Will we have to change terminals?

Thx

Christian

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

We are going to travel next week, and on Fri morning (local) will switch from arrival @ 7.35 am from LHR to departure @ 8.40 am to USM.

Originally, the departure was 20 min later, but was changed by the airline.

Anyone experience with this flight? Will we have to change terminals?

Thx

Christian

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

christian - you need to start a new thread of your own. and state with which airlines you are flying. and if you bought one ticket for the whole jouirney, or two separate tickets.

this thread is about singapore airlines.

to the op - i have, many times, connected from the heathrow flight to a langkawi flight, singapore airlines to silk air, with only a 55 minute gap. we have even had time for a quick smoke on the way!

our bags have, so far, made it too, but our friend on the manchester route has had hers left behind a couple of times. they get them there in the end though.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Airlines to Silk Air - Connecting in SIN Changi?

Singapore Airlines / Silk Air are excellent , many times connected with them, no worries at all

Edited: 03 February 2014, 14:59