Previously, my partner had assured me she had booked flights "with eDreams", although in retrospect I am certain she chose eBookers, as I have no documentation from the former. Anyway, as we have traveled many times I trusted her judgement, plus I had always been involved in some capacity so if there had been an issue I would have been aware.
I did the usual flight comparison via Travel Supermarket and Flight Scanner. In summary eDreams presented the best price, provided a MasterCard debit card was used, without they were more expensive than some others. I am aware that MasterCard debit cards do not charge in overseas transactions, so it seemed probable. I transferred the precise amount to the relevant account and booked the flights. I received a confirmation, including a flight number.
Two Days later, an email informing me that there had been a schedule change/cancellation, and that they required me to "confirm the pending reservation". No details were supplied regarding the change. I knew something was wrong, checked the forums for horror stories, then called Iberia and provided the flight number. The assistant said the flight number was incorrect and told me the 3 digit code it should have begun with. He sounded slightly annoyed, so I asked if this happens frequently and he confirmed that it did.
The eDreams UK customer service number doesn't work, the Spanish one is £1.53 per minute. I wasn't turning over any more money to them, so I sent a total of 3 emails before getting a response. In my email I stated that Iberia informed me the flight number was false, also, due to the type of annual travel insurance I have, I could get a genuine cancellation covered. I had also questioned why the same flights were being advertised, if it was a service they could not provide.
Metro Bank were cooperative and were ready to pursue the funds as a fraudulent transaction.
The response from eDreams was to claim the refund had been provided already, days before. They also implied I made a mistake with the flight number, entering a '0' instead of an 'o'. I responded to them saying the whole flight number was false, which they ignored.
At this point my bank said that if eDreams confirmed the amount they 'refunded' and the date of the transaction, they would retrieve the funds immediately (eDreams would not do this, despite me baiting them). Alternatively, there was a 7 day period in which eDreams could hold the money as a pending transaction, although the bank would go after the money if they stalled further.
I did eventually get the money back the next week, in a number of emails entitled "scam", threatening that my bank would pursue them, highlighting the London postcode where the money had been diverted to. The wording of their paperwork is such that the consumer is set up to be snared, but this was only evident to me upon viewing the fake confirmation page. Apparently, I wasn't entitled to know the details of any "schedule change" as I didn't purchase their cancellation insurance.
They are not regulated by ATOL, and Easy Jet and Ryan Air have filed complaints regarding eDreams lying about prices, and hijacking web traffic. I also felt the sponsored Google ad offered some false hope of legitimacy. I hope this helps someone. Avoid them as if they are stalking you.