We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time booking flights Sydney - London

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time booking flights Sydney - London

Im about to book 2 adult return tickets to london. dates are july 9 - sept 10 ( those days are flexible depending on the varying price of the tickets.

Where is my best place to find the cheapest flights? if it cost me say an extra $100 to save 5-10 hours flight time i would happily pay that but Just want to know is there a common place everyone on here buys their tickets or does it take time shopping around the various websites and travel agents?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

That's a fairly expensive time of year for flights to London. I use

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

I read about it here first on TripAdvisor. But be warned, the cheapest flights that will come up wll most likely be with several layovers which could be quite lengthy. But it will give you some ideas. When you have found something you like, go to the airline website to book.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

Seems like the best deal is with Garuda Indonesia. anyone got any good or bad feedback about them?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

I agree with #1 ". But be warned, the cheapest flights that will come up wll most likely be with several layovers which could be quite lengthy." do watch out for those very cheap fares that can have terrible routings.

I would suggest you start by checking online deals with Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Emirates etc and see what they can offer. It is a very long flight indeed and worth paying a bit more fo a pleasant flight.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

"Seems like the best deal is with Garuda Indonesia. anyone got any good or bad feedback about them?"

Garuda (along with other Indonesian carriers) were banned from flying into the EU a few years back. I'm not totally sure of the reason, but you should be able to find that out fairly easily.

I think the ban was lifted in 2010. They may have since sorted out their game, but personally, I wouldn't go near them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

I was just looking for flights for a friend - Qatar have a special on at the moment and may be worth a look

Also youy can subscribe at skyscanner.net - put in the dates and subscribe to their updates where they will send an email to you when prices go up and down

I too would avoid Garuda..

Edited: 22 January 2014, 08:50
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

another thing - with stop overs/transit, make sure you check if you need a visa.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

For Qatar, you won't need a visa in Doha for just being in transit.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 10:04
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

I'd look at Virgin Australia - going up through Abu Dhabi with them or their partner Etihad.

Did this in May 2013 with a stop in AUH on the way up for 2 days. Excellent service.

Would not fly Gaurada when you have the choice of other carriers.

9. Re: First time booking flights Sydney - London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38