We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

Hinckley, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

I have bought a package from Expedia and have a receipt stating a total price. I paid in full by a visa DEBIT card NOT a credit card. However the airline have imposed an extra charge fee per person. Expedia states this is because I used a Visa card but mine is a debit card direct through my bank. Also they state in their terms and conditions 2.4 that the total price is the price you pay but I have not and have no paperwork explaining the charge. Is this normal practice by Expedia.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 21:53
60 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,908 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

They should have sent a confirmation email - if Expedia is not on your contact list, it could have gone into SPAM

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

Many sites offer the choice of a visa debit OR a visa credit - don't know if expedia do, just mentioning it I case they do

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,761 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

Bank debit cards are usually Visa or MasterCard or Maestro which is MasterCard. When you come to the end of the booking proceed there should be a warning that use of a debit card carries a surcharge. This should also be stated in Expedia's T&Cs if you booked the flight through them or in the airline's if you booked with them.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

That's odd that expedia charges for some flights an additional airline card fee positioning it as a third party fee. I ordered absolutely the same ticket for the same flight through airasia.com directly and paid with the same card. There were no such a charges applied to the final total.

I wish i knew it before i booked through Expedia.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 07:34
Airdrie, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

I used my TD Visa Debit to attempt to book a trip to Puerto Vallarta last night. I was told that the transaction would not go through. However, the next day I checked my account online, and noticed a 900.67 fee "reservation charge" to Expedia processed that I was not aware of nor did not approve. I have no trip booked through them, and now am having to deal with a bank investigation to have that money returned to me. I am NEVER EVER using Expedia due to this-if you are taking that amount of money out of someones account without approval, at least advise the person, and provide a receipt!!!!!!!!!!! I am so upset, and now have to wait to get that money back (whenever this investigation ties up) before I can afford to book my vacation again-through a different company!!!

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

Expedia clearly state that and Airline CC fees will be provided after you have entered a payment method on the payment screen PRIOR to paying. I am currently in dispute with them on an undisclosed fee that they took unauthorised payment for.

If their website provided a correct amount then these sort of issues should not occur and we the consumer would be able to decide whether the fee is acceptable in advance rather than simply being charged additional amounts.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

Cheryl - I don't know what happened, but Expedia had to have had your CC information to place this charge.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

I was charged too with the additional fees, did u manage to get a refund?? this is kind of ridiculous isn't it! argh... how can they charge us without making it known to us.

9. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:35

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.

Expedia are very very poor, took additional unauthorised fees from my account and will not refund poor service and first and last time I will ever use them.

Only noticed that one of their partners is hotel.com and had major problems when they double booked us In a hotel, and could not accomadate us elsewhere, was a complete stressful nightmare

Avoid both!!

Reply to: Airline fees when booking through Expedia by debit card.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted