We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai transit question

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Topic
Dubai transit question

We will be in transit at Dubai airport for just on 5 hours (en-route from MEL to CDG) .

Just wondering how we would go about purchasing food or drinks there. Rather than charging it on a credit card, what cash would people advise we have? As this will be our only time in the UAE, we would rather not have to bring cash specific for just these 5 hours, if we don't really have to . Are Euros or US dollars acceptable for small purchases, by any chance?

Thanks so much for any insights into this...

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai transit question

You can pay in just about any major currency. Items are priced in Dirhams. The exchange rate used won't be to you advantage however and change will be in Dirhams.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai transit question

Easier just to use a CC

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai transit question

Every time you change currency it costs money so the worst option for you is to change from Australian dollars to Euros or US dollars to Dirhams as you will end up paying two lots of currency conversion fees.

Your best option is to get a 28 Degrees MasterCard which has no fees as long as you pay your monthly balance on time. It has been mentioned numerous times on these (and other travel) forums. You apply online at www.28degreescard.com.au

Another option if you want to use cash is to use your ATM card to withdraw cash - you will get the local currency for where ever you happen to be at the time of the withdrawal. Most of the major banks push special travel cards but they do have significant fees. There are a number of options available with no fees Citibank Citiplus transaction card is one I have used. There a number of credit unions who also offer no fee options. www.citibank.com.au

If you are really serious about taking cash (and I have to ask how you plan to survive in Europe without cards because you will need to carry far more cash than I would be comfortable with) then you should take Australian dollars and exchange them rather than going through two lots of exchanges as explained above. It is almost always cheaper to exchange currency at your destination rather than before you leave.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 02:31
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai transit question

Sorry ran out of time with my edit.

If you change your mind about using cards you must notify your bank/cc company before you leave otherwise they could block your transactions as they may suspect fraud. If you are traveling with a partner both of you should have cards.

Even though I prefer to use cards when traveling I always carry some cash - my personal tolerance is about $500 AUD and my husband carries the same amount.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai transit question

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

As far as having cash in Europe is concerned, I will be carrying very little of it with me. I have a Travel-Card (the same one I use for all my travel) onto which I have loaded the Euros cash I believe I will need while I am there. I always use this card sparingly while I am away, thus minimising any transaction fees levied by the bank to which the ATM I am using is attached. I prefer, in most cases, to use my credit card for larger transactions, but having cash is also important for purchases such as a local bus fare or a drink while walking.

My question more closely related to the 5 hours I find that I will be in Dubai airport. I don't anticipate necessarily making any purchases while I am there, but was just wondering what the situation would be should I choose to buy a drink or something to eat.

After reading the replies, I believe my easiest option would be to use my credit card, or withdraw a minimum amount of Dirhams at an ATM using the Travel-Card.

Thank you all for your help.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai transit question

Take small notes of Australian Dollars and pay with it. That way you only get small change in local currency.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,023 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai transit question

I transit Dubai ofter and use sterling - and get the change in sterling most times.

If they have your currency they will give you change in your currency, if not then in dirhams.

8. Re: Dubai transit question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:17