We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early do you make reservations for your flight?

Mil,WI
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How early do you make reservations for your flight?

We plan on going to Orlando, FL from Milwaukee, WI in December 2015. At first it was just my husband and I. Going back to our honeymoon destination. :)

The number of people wanting to go has grown through the last few months. It is now 15.

I have never been with a group this big before. My plan is to find out how early people usually make their plane reservations. Then tell the group this. Then after I do make the reservations, tell the group the information and leave it up to them to make their own reservations.

At the moment we arent sure which airline we will fly with.

How early do u normally book your flight? Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

Airlines usually don't take bookings more than 330 days in advance.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,040 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

Most airlines have group reservation schemes, you should probably look into that to see if they offer any better deals. Means you or someone else taking charge of the reservation process though and getting money out of people can be a challenge.

Personally I would never book any more than two months in advance.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

Prices can change, keep that in mind. If you're like me, I hate booking too early because the price MAY come down, however, it also may not.

I am almost certain you can't book more than 330 days in advance.

I don't like to book too early also because I can't contain my excitement (long haul), however, short haul, I've booked the day before on some EU trips.

2 growing to 15, there's a chance it may grow some more!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,151 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

IF "December" means Christmas week then that would be different than the rest of the month in terms of when I'd book. Usually holiday weeks are expensive and also crowded so they book up quickly!! Traditionally flying on Christmas Day or New Years Day/Eve are lower priced than other times . For a vacation during Christmas I'd book as soon as I see flight prices that I can afford.BTW I try to avoid that time of year for traveling altogether!!

Edited: 24 January 2014, 14:03
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

Means you or someone else taking charge of the reservation process though and getting money out of people can be a challenge.

==========================================

The problems in getting money out of people shouldn't be underestimated. Especially those who are full of enthusiasm at the moment, but change their mind later, and ask "but I'm not going, why should I pay?".

The airline expect to be paid when you book; I don't see why the others shouldn't pay the OP in advance of the booking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

I always book flights early because have never experienced prices going down nearer the date of the flight, usually the opposite is true, booked flights to Egypt just three weeks ago and the self-same flight has now gone up by £100.00, once I left it late on the advice of someone who said that there is a time close to the flight date when seats go down considerably because the airline wants to sell off any remaining seats but ended up paying hundreds of pounds more, am not sure if anyone on here has experienced the prices of flights going down rather than up, am currently very skeptical.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

"am not sure if anyone on here has experienced the prices of flights going down rather than up, am currently very skeptical."

Yes, when there is a sale on.

I wanted 2 business class returns LHR-SYD for May. These were around 40% cheaper at the end of December than they were the previous month.

Wouldn't rely on it happening if there was no sale though!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

If you would like the CONSIDERABLE additional stress, hassle and work, all on top of organizing a wedding may I remind you, I suggest its a fabulous idea to organise it all.

You have the fun of booking everyone's flights, being absolutely sure what their exact names are, the super joy of chasing the money from them, of dealing with some who change their minds and want refunds, those who change their minds and want changed flight times. Now add on those who are sure they can get a better deal than you and tell you they begrudge the extra $50 because their uncle can great deals through some guy who knows someone, who tells everyone behind your back how they are paying over the odds because you booked with the wrong agency, airline, time, destination, add on top a seasoning of their special requests, their luggage etc etc.

The fun will truly be awesome and I'm sure in perhaps 25 or so years time you'll be able to look back and smile at it, the pain will mostly have worn off by then. Apart from that jerk uncle bill who never did pay you the $400 for his ticket.

Or, if you wish to retain any smidgeon of your sanity, you will tell them you will be in such and such a location in Florida on such and such a date, and leave them to sort their own arrangements out. And the absolute MOST you will do is tell them you'll be on such and such a flight from A to B leaving at whenever.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 16:03
Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

This => ". . . if you wish to retain any smidgeon of your sanity, you will tell them you will be in such and such a location in Florida on such and such a date, and leave them to sort their own arrangements out. And the absolute MOST you will do is tell them you'll be on such and such a flight from A to B leaving at whenever."

If you have a group of fifteen you'll have fifteen opinions on how and when to get tickets -- let each do their own thing. Don't ruin your event by trying to become a travel agent. ;)

As far as your own tickets go, I'd be looking at prices to see what the going rate is, and be ready to buy early if an unusually low price pops up. I have bought tickets 10 months out and saved a considerable amount of money, but you need to know what prices have been in the long-term past to know what 'cheap' or 'costly' is.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How early do you make reservations for your flight?

Our experience in recent years has that booking in advance has always paid off, we got back from Havana in Feb 2013 and knew we wanted to go back again Feb 2014 and booked flights for £420 each within a fortnight of getting back. Those flights are now £720 each for the same flight.

We booked a hotel and flight through Expedia one year to Thailand, we got it in the September for £652 each and by the time the Feb came round it was £4200 a person for the same holiday!

I find short haul flights the same and we book 7 or 8 months or more in advance for those too. We did check the sales at christmas for flights we had booked to Naples and Budapest this the year and the sale price was still more expensive!