We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

We used Avios to book 2 RT WT+ flights to LHR for $800 pp plus the Avios; a pretty good deal I think. Can these award flights be upgraded should CW become available for our flights?

Thanks for your help.

Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

bump

uk
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

I don't think they can be upgraded as such but if CW reward seats were to become available (and you have enough Avios) I think you should be able to cancel the WT+ tickets and rebook in CW.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

No BA works differently to US upgrade programmes. So if you wish to travel CW you need to redeem the full miles required to travel CW. If you book a cash fare, you can use miles to upgrade to the next cabin. So if you want CW, you need to pay for WTP. BA do not allow what they call double upgrades.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

You might try asking on Flyertalk if no one here responds. I don't know the answer; we have only started with WT+ and upgraded that with Avios. ( but somewhere in the back of my mind I recall seeing something about double upgrades not being allowed. But I may be imagining that.)

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

Oops--I did not see those two answers before I wrote mine.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

My reading of the OP is that she has a pure Avios booking, rather than a paid booking with Upgrade Using Avios ($800 sounds too little for the commercial fare + taxes/charges).

If it is indeed the case that she has a pure Avios booking, then it is possible to upgrade to Club World or First should that cabin become available and she has enough Avios for the upgrade. There would be a cost of $40 to change (or $65 if changed offline) plus the additional charges which could feasibly be another whopping $150 pp, or possibly slightly more.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

Double upgrades are not allowed via manage my booking or over the phone (flyertalk has threads on this). You might get lucky and be able to snag a paid upgrade at airport before you leave (worth asking) or be on one of the flights where BA is piloting on-board upgrades for $$$ - but overall it's unlikely.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

PinkAardvark has an excellent point. It does appear to an award booking using Avios plus cash, not an upgrade on a paid WT ticket. In that case, it is not a double upgrade. An Avious can simply be changed to a different booking, in Manage My Booking. If the business class seats become available, they should be able to do this. I suggest doing it online as soon as the award seats appear ( if they do). Calling in means a long wait of 30 minutes or more, during which time the award seats could disappear.

Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's a pure Avios booking for 2 RT WT+ tickets for 120K Avios plus &1600 for all the surcharges. I thought this was a pretty good deal since it saved us approx $1800 on these 2 tickets. I thought it unlikely we could upgrade to CW, should upgrades become available, but it didn't hurt to ask.

I'm hoping maybe we can snag an upgrade at the airport. We always take the same flight to Heathrow on a Monday evening. Last time we flew in Sept the lower CW only had 6 passengers (we were 2 of them) & upper level was full. So maybe there's hope. Even if we can't upgrade we have always been very satisfied with BA's WT+ product so with the $1800 savings, I'm happy even without an upgrade.

I checked MMB today & saw they are now using A380s instead of 747s on this route. Looks like WT+ is on the upper level & the seating is 2-3-2. Hope this will be a nice improvement. Anyone have experience with the A380 WT+?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can BA Award Flights be Upgraded?

You can always ask at check in if BA is selling upgrades to CW.BA do sell IAD-LHR upgrades,but not every flight.From memory,cost is about $599.

You can also cancel and rebook your WT+ to CW if availability opens up.This will be free for BA gold and about $50 each plus the extra avios for other tier members.

Now the CW and F sale has finished,extra availability for avios seats in F and CW may well open.