We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Topic
advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

Hi there,

Looking for some expert advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US.

We plan to fly from Bristol (UK) to Boston (US) and then fly back approx 2 weeks later from Philadelphia with either a multi-city or an open-jaw ticket in May 2014. The plan also includes flying between BOS and PHL (or getting Amtrak). Would it be best to get the internal US flight on the original booking or book it separately? I’ve searched on many different websites and the combinations are endless, but none are perfect. Ideally, we’d prefer only one stopover if possible. The alternative is to fly back from NYC as flights from there tend to be quicker (and we could get Amtrak there). I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, if anyone could possibly suggest the best option, and whether to get a multi-city flight or open jaw plus separate internal flight (or train), we'd appreciate it. Also, any advice on which would be the best airlines would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Jazzy.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,104 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

If this was me I'd do an open jaw flight (Bristol to Boston, Philadelphia to Bristol) with a separate domestic flight from Boston to Phil.

US Airways operate a non stop Boston to Phil flight that would work but your problem is likely to be getting a decent 1 stop flight from Phil to Bristol on the return leg - I searched on kayak and didn't find anything that stood out, returning from NY would give you a lot more options that could well be cheaper even allowing for the cost of getting from Phi to NY.

If you decide to return from NY it might be wise to travel to NY the day before the flight to reduce the risk of missing the flight.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,062 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

You will have to do the price comparison:

flying into Boston and home from Philadelphia +amtrak Boston to Phillie

flying into Boston, then flying to Phillie, then home on one ticket

flying into Boston then home from Phillie +internal flight Boston to Phillie

etc,

Have you already visited NYC? Is that why you are leaving it out on this trip??

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

Thanks for your quick replies. Really appreciate the advice.

I've done lots of price comparisons, but also would prefer the shorter flights or fewest stops if possible. Will carry on looking!

Yes Riff, we were lucky to spend two weeks in NYC in 2010 (honeymoon!) and then another week in 2012, so we're visiting somewhere new this time!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,062 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

Have you considered Washington DC instead of Philadelphia?

I ask because you can go home from IAD through either Dublin or Brussels for a reasonable price.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

A few years ago we needed to fly: London - Boston, then NYC - Nashville, then Chicago - London. The best way I found was to book the London - Boston + Chicago - London as a "multi-city itinerary" on BA (they code share with AA, and the flight that suited us timewise for the return was on AA, so worked out fine (except that AA were awful in comparison to BA, but that's another story!)).

I then booked the NYC - Nashville flight directly with AA (operated by American Eagle).

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

Thanks again for your replies.

Riff - would you say there are more flights from Washington DC than Philly? I'll give that a go now.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,062 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

I think so .

I think it was Aerlingus that had the best flight prices from IAD.

I didn't go into great detail just took a quick look.

I used:

matrix.itasoftware.com/ to do the searching

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,023 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

You are going to have to check the various options as there's no right answer. Also remember New York has numerous airports. Newark and JFK have a lot of international flights.

PHL and IAD in Washington are both big international hubs. Check them both out.

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

Ok, thanks. I'll keep looking.

Which are the better airlines to fly with or which ones would you avoid if possible?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,104 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on multi-city flights from the UK to the US

"Which are the better airlines to fly with or which ones would you avoid if possible?" Most of the US carriers are in my view broadly comparable in economy class and if using a US carrier for the transatlantic flight I would base my decision on price/schedule.

One factor you may wish to consider is that flying with an EU carrier like BA is that you benefit from the protection offered by the EU Regs 261/2004 in the event of any delays or cancellations on both the flight from and to the UK. Flying on a non EU carrier means only the flight from the UK benefits from EU 261.

Can be useful cover if your flight is delayed or cancelled.