We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines operated flight Select your seat advice

Rhyl
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines operated flight Select your seat advice

Hi

Just got tickets for mine and my wifes flight from Manchester to New York on 22nd of February. Logged in to BA site and entered our advance passenger information with no problems. Clicked on the link to pick our seat and it is showing as one free seat available (near back,centre seat) and a few premium seats for £70-£75 each.

Having read up on this it seems AA hold seats back until you arrive at the airport, is this right?

My wife is terrified of flying and we are tempted to pay the extra £300 so we know we have seats together but obviously this is a lot of money.

My main question is if we arrive at the airport are we likely to be allocated seats together? Our flight leaves Manchester at 10.30am on Feb 22nd, we will be doing online check in 24 hours before but what is the earliest we can arrive at the airport to get our seat allocation on the day? as in is there any point arriving 6.30am or is that too early?

Any advice on what we should do would be appreciated as my wife is really, really worried we wont be sat together and much as we cant really afford to pay another £300 just to sit together if it comes to it we will have.

Thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines operated flight Select your seat advice

My advice is to call the airline and actually talk with a person who will most likely be able to help you. Forget your computer. Chuck.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines operated flight Select your seat advice

On many airlines, the "free seats" are all in the center, so you might have difficulty finding any two side-by-side.

Agree with BlackBelt4dan, call and talk with someone at AA, but be prepared to pay extra for your seat selection. I would.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines operated flight Select your seat advice

Would you not get your seat choice when you check in 24 hours before flight?

Rhyl
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines operated flight Select your seat advice

Hi

We phoned and spoke to AA and they said that currently all the remaining seats are being kept for airport allocation. The lady said she would put a note on our booking asking for us to have seats together.

Im more interested in what time is the earliest we can arrive at the airport to get our seat allocation? Figure that way if we are ahead of most people we should be ok.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines operated flight Select your seat advice

Usually airport check in opens about 4 hours early.

Keep checking regularly. Sometimes the airlines do release more seats as you get closer to departure. You may not have to wait until you get to the airport.

6. Re: American Airlines operated flight Select your seat advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 07:22