We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finnair

Waterloo
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Finnair

I travelled to St. Petersburg, Russia last summer with Finnair. They lost my bag and told me it was at the airport. The airport official wanted money to release it to me. After 4 days and much pleading and emails and phone calls (in the hundreds) my bag was delivered. Three days later when I left they lost my bag again. It was a one way direct and I was there three hours early. It seemed deliberate -- a response to my complaint. I have flown all over the world and have never had an airline as rude and non responsive as Finnair. After 31 days they finally told me I should have spent $150 on toiletries and they would have - in that case -- reimbursed me. Of course I didn't buy anything when I knew where my bag was -- being held hostage at the airport. Finnair ruined my trip to see my children, most of the trip was caught up in desperately trying to get my bag. Is there nothing I can do? I teach Services Marketing at a university and I have never seen such arrogance and non-responsiveness. Their phones were not answered, their forms didn't work, they ignored emails, it was like they were trying to provide bad service. Is there nothing I can do? I want money and a real apology.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,637 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finnair

'I travelled to St Petersburg, Russia last summer with Finnair. They lost my bag and told me it was at the airport. The airport official wanted money to release it to me.' Two things here. If your bag was located and found at LED airport then it will have been delayed, not lost. More importantly, if 'an airport official' asked for money to release the bag to you *at LED, St Petersburg airport* then that airport official will not have been Finnair staff but a contract worker out to make an extra profit.

If your bag was misdirected when you left St Petersburg then again that's a matter for baggage handlers at LED rather than Finnair staff.

You do mention, in a convoluted way, that your bag was returned to you. Was it, or does it remain in limbo or at LED?

'I want money and a real apology.' If you had to buy necessities during your time in St Petersburg, then claim on your travel insurance. If your bag was at LED for four days that is something you should have dealt with rather than leave the bag there and walk out of the terminal building.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finnair

I teach Services Marketing at a university and I have never seen such arrogance and non-responsiveness.

-------------------------

Your students can't be that bad.

Have to agree with Traveller Plus here.

Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finnair

During the last 2 years I have been flying Finnair relatively often, usually between China and Finland. Because the flight is direct it is shorter, however I realize also there is a price to pay and it is related to the quality of service that Finnair has; below mediocre.

I would say that my impression of Finnair has condensed to these 2 values: being on time, being safe. These 2 values are met. However any other expectations I have when I pay out 1000-1500 EUR for a service (me being moved from point A to point B and back) are not met. Onboard economy class (and the business class is not that good either as I happened to fly a few times on business with them) between Asia and Finland is beyond the mediocre, starting from the food. Not only the meals have no character (not like some other airlines who try to take a local angle in their menus, for example Japanese airlines, Middle Eastern ones etc.) they are also quiet small to the point that many times I have been left hungry in a 10 hour long flight. Usually there are no free snacks offered during the flight, other airlines leave some snacks and drinks in the galley during the flight. For the flights I have been taken (4-5 R/T flights every year between China and Finland) they offer no personal amenity kits (socks, toothbrush, etc.), they do not give you a printed menu for the flight, the selection of drinks is also poor. One would think that they could offer some free vodka for example (but it is by payment only).

The entertainment offered is also very poor. The personal screens are not that large, but the worst is the selections offered. A very poor and limited selection of movies and songs / albums, mostly of unknown artists or old titles. Compared to the entertainment system with Emirates or SIngapore Airlines, Finnair is living in the last century and it is better to bring your own iPad or other device to watch your movies or read.

In general, Finnair has micro-managed every aspect of its services to save on costs to the point that all is left is a generalized type of service that does not inspire and leaves you wondering why would you really fly again with such an airline? Other than if you need to save time with a direct flight. The service feels like hospital, it does the job, but it does not engage you, it is a blunt service.

If you have some time in your hands and you can do a stop over, I recommend you fly with Emirates or Turkish Airlines. Both airlines have a superior service for the same prices.

Northern Territory
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finnair

Hi TXLP, thanks for that lengthy spill on Finnair you have now got me worried. Myself, husband and 2 teens 14 & 16 are flying from Singapore to Helskini-Copenhagen in September. We are from Australia and we are using our frequent flyer points so have not had to pay for the airfare except for the taxes. I thought Finnair got Airline of the year, but I must have read something else about the airline. You mentioned the drink situation, I hope you don't have to pay for all drinks? Also with meals they better not be small or only just one meal for a 12 hour flight, otherwise they will have 2 screaming growing teens running up and down the aisles demanding food. We only ever usually fly Qantas but when I was doing all the bookings for our trip Finnair was the only airline offering flights using points. Also would it be best for us to sit all 4 in the middle or should we take 2 x 2 seats; I went on seatguru and it seems the seat pitch and width is 1"bigger than BA or some of the other airlines. Have you any other advice or should I really cancel those flights and try to book now with some other airline. Thanks

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,037 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finnair

"Otherwise they will have 2 screaming growing teens running up and down the aisles demanding food"

I hope there is a hint of a joke in this comment otherwise if meant literally then you may find local law enforcement waiting for you upon arrival. ;-)

If you've read Finnair's web page (link below) you'll see that drinks are free in economy. The previous poster only mentions vodka, and I can't see an issue with Finnair in not offering free vodka.

You also get a meal and a snack on board and snacks are available for purchase, although the majority would advise you to take extra snacks with you especially where two growing teens are involved. Have a good trip!

finnair.com/GB/GB/information-services/on-th…

Northern Territory
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finnair

Thanks for that sunmagic. Yes my screaming teens was a joke :) Really just a meal and a snack and then I have to pay after that; maybe I should look at transferring to BA then?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finnair

I flew from Singapore to Helsinki aboard the airbus A340 on and I had high expectations of a comfortable trip with a good brand like Finnair. Unfortunately, I was given seat number 55J. This was the smallest airplane seat I have ever sat on. I am a medium sized person and it provided the maximum amount of discomfort an airplane seat could. I think even the airhosts felt sorry for me and my large fellow passenger who was clearly suffering more than I was throughout the long flight.

I think it is important that the company recognise that the cost of removing ridiculous seats at the back of the plane on row 55 is much less than the damage these seats do to the Finnair brand.

8. Re: Finnair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2015, 07:15