We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

I already have thread going about booking Florida in 2015, but this question is a lot more general and "conspiracy theory" based.

Has anyone had experience of either Flight / Package price deals increasing, and the thought must cross your mind ..... The Broker of the flight / package is well aware of increased enquires for specific dates, so puts the price up knowing there are increased possible customers.

Has anyone some input? Thank you, Craig.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,259 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

The pricing is all done with automated algorithms designed to Maximize their profit. Whether or not they look at inquiries as part of that algorithm or just actual sales, who knows. Although I think inquiries at most would be a small factor.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

If one "broker" puts up prices for a particular package, it may make him more expensive than similar "brokers" for the same or similar package.

I'm not convinced that this happens.

A lot of sites (BA included) do store cookies, but this seems to be more to do with advertising than price manipulation.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,766 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

>>>Whether or not they look at inquiries as part of that algorithm or just actual sales, who knows<<<

No they do not.

Revenue optimisation programs are designed to monitor sales, over the various fare buckets, over a defined period. The speed of consumption is also monitored, but by an analyst, not automated. They then determine/calculate whether an increase/swing in load availability is feasible. If they proceed, they then consider whether the demand can be maintained at a higher set of fare buckets, or reloaded using the previous set.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

Would a travel agent use a revenue optimisation programme though?

I would have thought that they were at the mercy of what the airline and hotel are prepared to sell it for?

I thought the agents had access to roughly the same data as is available on Expertflyer.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

Intrepid I was refering to airlines not brokers. Brokers buy or reserve lots and usually (not always) may have the lowest prices.

In addition the airlines monitor their competitions prices.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 18:18
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,766 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

I'd imagine you're absolutely correct Intrepid, that travel agents are limited (restricted maybe a better word) by what is provided by the source, as it's almost exclusively from what us available through the GDS. I know some resellers would use direct purchase (through airline site) and add on fees, because retail rates are not commissionable - so if it weren't for the fees, they wouldn't make a cent. This explains how some agents get caught on the hop, and that's when we hear the stories about tickets not being booked or being asked for more money etc etc.

The explanation on my previous post is how airlines and hotels (hotels isn't quite as defined or as structured) determine and set up rates and fares grids/matrix.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 18:21
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

This is the kind of rubbish perpetuated by the same people that think buying during the middle of the night on a Tuesday is cheapest because aren't booking tickets then.

The complex way yield and revenue management is done just fuels ridiculous theories about this kind of thing.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

Without selling a single seat, would they not put the price up knowing the increased probability of future sales?

------

Why would they put the price up if they haven't even sold a single seat? They should put the price down! Why is probability increased if at lower prices they didn't sell any?

Why do airlines show you their cheapest seats when you browse if they are so keen to raise prices, shouldn't they show you their most expensive first?

Do people think they believe sell in isolation, eg Acme Airlines raises its prices because I looked several times on this website I would be tempted to buy before it rises more? But I might be equally or more likely to go and buy from Zeta Airlines instead.

As someone else said, show a single actual reproducible example. I've been told here several times that airline x on route y even on dates z, this is happening, when i look, it's not. Never. Not once.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,766 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

>>>This is the kind of rubbish perpetuated by the same people that think buying during the middle of the night on a Tuesday is cheapest because aren't booking tickets then<<<

LOL, that's also when the analysts are at lunch in the Southern Hemisphere. I think some comparison sites offer tinfoil hats with every enquiry.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Price increase due to Internet Enquiry traffic?

Apologies. Didn't realise you were talking about airlines.

Assumed the thread was about packages sold by brokers/agents.