We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines & US Airways Code-sharing price

Curacao
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines & US Airways Code-sharing price

When will AA & US airways start with the code-sharing? And do you think their prices will drop or change on some routes? Looking at buying tickets for a summer trip, but wondering if I should wait a few more weeks or not.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,804 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines & US Airways Code-sharing price

According to the AA website they started selling codeshare flights from 23 January but I suspect it will be some time before all the possible codeshares are available - impossible to say what impact this will have on prices in the future.

http://www.aa.com/arriving

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,108 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines & US Airways Code-sharing price

They already have started sharing. If you search for a flight on AA, it shows US Air flights and if you search on US Air, it shows American flights. They are not code shares, but you can book each others flights on both web sites.

A number of people have asked if they will drop prices on some routes. While no one knows for sure, personally I doubt it. They don't overlap much so on most routes it probably won't matter. On some routes to and from their hubs, such as Chicago to Phoenix or Chicago to Philadelphia, they both have routes so I think will probably cancel some flights. That means less competition and probably higher prices if anything.

As always when buying a ticket, if you see a flight at a price you like, buy it. Prices are as likely to go up as down.

Curacao
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines & US Airways Code-sharing price

I know enough, thank you very much.

Note: That's exactly what happened, I saw the tickets for the price I liked, but did 'not' buy them, now it went up! Lesson learned.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
46,053 posts
1,475 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines & US Airways Code-sharing price

<<On some routes to and from their hubs, such as Chicago to Phoenix or Chicago to Philadelphia, they both have routes so I think will probably cancel some flights. That means less competition and probably higher prices if anything.>>

That is what seems to be happening in the PHX market - duplication being trimmed, and prices actually going up a bit, probably due to less competition on the remaining routes. I would anticipate that some markets will see a bit more of that - nothing major, just some minor increases.

Hunt

5. Re: American Airlines & US Airways Code-sharing price

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:22