We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended Layover Istanbul Turkish Airline Flights

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Extended Layover Istanbul Turkish Airline Flights

I'm traveling to Rome in Oct 2014. By far the best RT prices from Houston areTurkish Air with long layover in Istanbul. 2 questions:

A. Been told that TA provides a free hotel and/or City tour for long layover passengers. Is this true? No mention of this on any website. How do you qualify? One flight IAH-IST-FCO has 22 hour layover. Would this qualify.

B. Does TA allow you to extend the layover to 2-3 days? I would love to visit Istanbul, but an open jaw ticket with separate flights drives the price way up.

Any tips for a short partial day stopover or a first time visit of 2-3 days would be appreciated. Two mature adults, history buffs, medium budget, very experienced travelers.

Thanks

Texas Jack

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,793 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Extended Layover Istanbul Turkish Airline Flights

You'll get your miles. I live in Chicago and TA has a direct flight ORD-IST. I've gotten that flight for $500 round trip and gotten my United miles for it. They run some unreal specials and it's not with super-discount ticket classes. Worth checking, but I'll bet you get your miles. We went on a one week trip to Istanbul on a lark one year because we snagged one of the fares. Saw the fare, did an hour's worth of online research to see how long we needed to say, and figured we could sort the rest out later.

The Istanbul TA forum has some great experts so definitely do some research there. We used the Rick Steeves guidebook for a lot, too. Stay in Sultanhamet. That's where the main tourist sites are. You can get very clean, not fancy but decent, inexpensive hotels walking distance to most of the big attractions, and there's a tram line that runs from there to anywhere else you'd want to go.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 04:25
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
567 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Extended Layover Istanbul Turkish Airline Flights

We stayed in the Yasmak Sultan. It's not top of the range. In fact, it looks a little tired in places but it is in a great location and has a lovely restaurant with views of the Bospherous on one side, views of the Mosque on the other. Good roof top terrace for drinks. Great breakfast. Not too pricey. They also organised a taxi transfer to and from the airport.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Extended Layover Istanbul Turkish Airline Flights

Here are the posts I recalled. All I stated was that it was worth it to look up the information in advance, and not be disappointed later.

flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/154289…

theflightdeal.com/2013/…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Extended Layover Istanbul Turkish Airline Flights

Thanks for all the helpful tips. I'm going to the Istanbul forum to start planning the details of my stay.

15. Re: Extended Layover Istanbul Turkish Airline Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:25