We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

I am hoping to take a solo trip to Europe (my first time there) for two weeks this summer. I can travel anytime between June 14 and July 10. I'm thinking of flying into London and flying out from Amsterdam (or the other way around). I live near San Francisco and would likely use that airport, but I would be open to using other airports in my area if there are cheaper flights available.

My problem is that I can't seem to find any flights that are significantly under $1,500 for anywhere in Europe during the summer, whether they are round-trip or open-jaw flights. Flights in the early spring seem to be more reasonably priced (around the $1,000 range), but unfortunately I can't travel during that time unless I bring my 2-year-old with me, which I'd prefer not to do. I am almost thinking of scrapping my Europe plans and just going somewhere closer, like Alaska or Canada.

Any ideas for how to find a cheaper flight? I'd even be open to changing my itinerary and visiting a different country if I could find a cheap flight to that country. I have looked all over the internet but haven't found anything more affordable yet. I read somewhere about someone calling Delta and getting a cheaper price than what was displayed online... anyone have any luck doing that?

Or... should I just bite the bullet and pay the $1,500+ for the ticket? Is $1,500 simply par for the course for summer travel to Europe? Am I being naive to expect that the price might come down significantly from that? Or should I wait another few months and see if there are any good deals between now and then?

Thank you very much for your help!

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

I'm a big fan of Aer Lingus would recommend it for DUB-LON (you have a choice of Gatwick,Heathrow or Southend) dependent of where you intend to stay in London and on the way back from Paris you can use Aer Lingus or Air France,would further suggest you fly back to DUB the day before the big trip across the pond,just in case

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

UAL must have heard about the AC deal as they have dropped the prices for June 15-30 SFO-EWR-DUB to $972 or $922 if you pay using their branded cc-worth considering as well because they offer pre-clearance at DUB which in short means that when you arrive back in the US you are treated as a domestic arrival so no further checks or passport control allowing quicker onward connection times

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

Good idea about flying back to Dublin the day before! That way I'll have some wiggle room in case things don't go as planned.

Thanks for looking into UAL for me! I will definitely check them out as well!! Should I buy my ticket this weekend, or wait till Tuesday or Wednesday? I've read that buying domestic tickets on those days might cost less than buying on other days: farecompare.com/travel-advice/… I don't know if the same holds true for international flights though. And I don't want to kick myself it the prices go back up next week.

Thanks again!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,792 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

The Tuesday thing is a myth. If you found a fare you like buy it. It's just as likely to disappear as to go down.

Iceland air through Rekjavik and Turkish sir through Istanbul also usually have good fares to Europe. Obviously Istanbul is out of the way if you are set on London and Paris. But those are the other airlines/ cities I would check.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

Old wives tale, just grab it when the price is right for you, for the sake of the$16 price differential I'd go with UAL cos it will allow you a 65 mine transfer time at EWR on the way home which is doable because of pre-clearance (IMHO worth its weight in gold), for how it all works go to Dublin Airport website click on at the airport and the is a six minute video explaining the whole process

26. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 19:04
Edited: 01 February 2014, 19:04
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

SATA are doing some very good fares from San Fran to Lisbon near those dates, take a look at their website, choose the right dates at it's just under $900

www.sata.pt

Lisbon's also a useful base to fly to other places in Europe too. Plenty of flights, and competition lowers prices. Take a look at www.skyscanner.net to have a look at flights to elsewhere in Europe. Beware of baggage charges when flying around Europe though. Some airlines stick some pretty hefty charges on, in the region of $100 per bag.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 19:07
Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

Thank you, everyone! Do you think just under $1000 is considered a good deal for a Dublin flight in June?

I am pretty far from Florida (I'd definitely have to fly there), so I'd be willing to pay a little extra to be able to fly from a local airport. But I'll keep them in mind for future vacations!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

Thank you, everyone! Do you think just under $1000 is considered a good deal for a Dublin flight in June?

I am pretty far from Florida (I'd definitely have to fly there), so I'd be willing to pay a little extra to be able to fly from a local airport. But I'll keep them in mind for future vacations!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: How to find a cheaper flight from SFO to London/Amsterdam?

Thank you, omearatho! That sounds great, I'll look into it!

So much great advice on this forum! :)