We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United airlines economy plus upgrade

Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
United airlines economy plus upgrade

I have already booked my flight from Manchester to New york, can I now upgrade my seat to more leg room? Can't see how to do it on Uniteds site.

London, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

Go to the seat selection page for your flight, and you can select an economy plus seat by paying the required upgrade fee. The cost varies slightly between seats - bulkhead / exit row and aisle seats are a little more expensive than middle of three seats.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

Not sure whether my booking is set up correctly, it does let me go to choose seats in economy but when I go to the economy plus area it just advises me that I can pay to upgrade but doesn't let me go any further. It also say's " This reservation is not ticketed" we will hold this reservation until midnight Friday 31st January, which is today. So worried the flight isn't booked properly.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

This means your flight isn't ticketed yet. How long ago did you make your purchase? If it's been more than a couple if hours, you need to call to see what's going on.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

It can take up to four hours for United's reservations system to ticket a reservation (or that's what a 1K agent told me as we waited 10 minutes for her to get my ticket issued). All down to their reservations system (Shares) that they took on from Continental. I'd still call United though as the longest delay for ticketing I've seen booking online is about 35 minutes, and it's usually less than ten.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 22:59
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,197 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

I think I've heard people say that they couldn't book E+ seats online from outside the US, but I don't recall the details. So if you're calling them anyway, I'd see if they can do it for you when you call.

* I could be remembering wrong, so anyone who knows for sure can feel free to correct me.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

We're in Canada and can do it fine and have lots, so that's probably not the issue unless it's outside of North America.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

i would just try it later in the day or tomorrow. I think it is easier to see what is available than use an agent to get E+.

If you booked it on United, you normally will get two emails one for a booking and the other when the transaction has gone through and united will email you their itinerary.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 04:32
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

Have you booked your flight direct with United? Or is it a package with a travel agent? If it's the latter you will need to contact the travel agent for them to contact United. We had this problem. We couldn't do it by ringing United direct.

Manchester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

Thanks everyone, I called into the travel agent today and they contacted United for me, apparently until our flight tickets arrive we won't be able to upgrade to economy plus and the ticket won't be issued until much nearer our flight date in October. Would probably have been better to book direct with United in the first place.

Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: United airlines economy plus upgrade

Which travel agent is it rachel? They will have booked it through another agency maybe Hayes and Jarvis. Ask your travel agent to contact them because you want to upgrade your flight. We had to do this.