We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airline questions?

pa
Level Contributor
843 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
airline questions?

Looking at flights from Pit to Barcelona(Sept.) finding some cheaper flights with Iberia (never heard of them) are they a good airline to fly with? Prompt? How's American and US Air now a days? Prices are $200 cheaper I'm paying for 6 so is it worth it or go with Delta? Any different airlines that I may be missing with good fares?

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airline questions?

As far as quality of service etc go, then all those airlines mentioned are quite similar (dependant on equipment used).

Also look at Air Canada via YYZ as another cheap option.

I have flown Iberia on a 10hr long haul before and found them superior to delta and similar to AA.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airline questions?

I have flown Delta to Europe quite often and have been pleased with the planes, food etc. Usually price and itinerary(flight times) are what I use to choose which airline to fly.

Iberia is the airline of Spain and so you may not have heard of it if you have not flown to Europe. All of the airlines you have mentioned fly regularly and have similar reviews.

You can find out the type of plane and what sort of service are on board and then use price and flight times to help make your decision. There is no secret to this process.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airline questions?

for airline reviews by traveler's - see www.airlinequality.com.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airline questions?

Iberia is a member of the One World alliance, which is the alliance American belongs to. They're a very reputable airline and I would not hesitate to buy a ticket on them. I think the on board differences between Iberia, AA, United, and Delta in economy are minimal and if one had a $200 advantage and had a schedule I liked, that's the one I'd use. I'd do that for just one and if you have 6 travelers, that's a lot of money.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airline questions?

I don't know if the fares are "good", but United flies into BCN from EWR, I think. Also, keep in mind that the PIT-CDG service is limited to one flight per day. I used to live in Pittsburgh, so I'm aware of that route.

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: airline questions?

I was considering using Iberia because there prices were much lower than many of the other Airlines. I am flying into Venice and out of Barcelona over the summer. However when I went to book the flight, there was a $40 fee to book our seats on Iberia, which brought my total up to the same as Delta and United. Is this typical for Iberia? I was also looking at Aer Lingus and they do not charge to pre book your seats.

pa
Level Contributor
843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airline questions?

Well I'm thinking that's a BIG saving but hubby not sure about going on an airline he never heard of, but it's helping to get other peoples opinion!

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airline questions?

Iberia to Spain is like American Airlines is to USA. It's the flagship airline. I would not hesitate flying it for 1200 dollars savings. But you should check seat selection, baggage charges etc..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airline questions?

Iberia is just fine. As the above said, if you lived in Spain, flying Iberia would be like flying American or United. What airlines has your husband heard of? Just because you've heard of something does not make it good. The big usa carriers like American, United, and Delta are not exactly luxury experiences. The "best" airlines these days on most rankings seem to be ones from Asian and Middle East countries. Turkish Airlines, which most Americans have never flown, regularly wins awards. Iberia's nothing special, but they are certainly not $200 a person worse than Delta.

Iberia does charge for advance seat selection. It's a pretty common for a lot of European carriers.

pa
Level Contributor
843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airline questions?

The big ones like Delta ,US Air, United and AA do you have any idea about cost of seat selection and any charge for a checked bag?