We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

I eagerly click on these alerts from tripadvisor ASAP once they have arrived in my inbox. I have NEVER found the price in the alert. Are these prices real, or just part of a plan to get us to log in to tripadvisor?

If the prices quoted are real, how can I find out where to get these prices and on which airlines they are available?

NOTE: I have twice received tripadvisor emails alerting me to a $424 RT JFK to Paris. Is this real?

Also, the low fare calendar listed a $404 RT JFK to Paris this afternoon for travel in March, and of course that price was not available either.

How do I get these low fares????

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

I would completely ignore the TA Price Alerts, ii is just a price comparison page for 3rd party agents. Just the kind of people you want to avoid when making a booking.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

What is a "price comparison page for 3rd party agents"? I'm not familiar with the term.

TIA!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

If those prices are real, how do I find them? That is the question of the day.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,248 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

I doubt very much they were real to begin with. Those RT fares you quoted don't even seem realistic - unless they are quoted before taxes are added.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

"If those prices are real, how do I find them?" - If posted by 3rd parties it's probable that the prices aren't real but are little more than an advert to entice you, I would certainly disbelieve a fare of $424 RT JFK to Paris.

Advertising low prices which are no longer available (if they even were in the first place) is a common tactic of some 3rd parties.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

If those prices are real, how do I find them? That is the question of the day.

----------------------------

The answer of the day is you almost certainly will not find them as they are generally being offered by online sellers who bait you in with too good to be true prices. Trip advisor just compares these hence the term 'comparison page for third party agents'.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 20:49
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

Then the problem may be with TripAdvisor because they are saying that the low prices were for tickets that were actually purchased.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

This is what Tripadvisor is telling me:

"Best price recently found by travelers* "

" * Pricing and fares contained in this e-mail have been collected during the three days prior to the calendar date of this e-mail. Actual pricing and fares are provided by air carrier and suppliers, whose prices change frequently and without notice. "

Is TripAdvisor lying?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

You can't find them. TA's flight and hotel search section is terrible. I don't know where they're coming up with those prices, but some of the ones it sends me are completely absurd. I'm not sure if I'd call it lying or just a bad computer algorithm. Use the TA forums and do some research on hotels and restaurants, but don't bother with the booking part of the site or the alerts.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elusive prices on Airfare Alerts

Wes, I think it may go beyond a bad algorithm if they falsely claim that travelers actually purchased tickets at these prices.