We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland to NYC

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
858 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland to NYC

A question for Kiwis (and perhaps Aussies) for travel to NYC departing May 9th. I am looking at booking on AirNZ transiting through SFO, however the on line options are looking pretty tight for the connection (some less than 2 hours). I am looking at a United connection leaving at 14:10 after landing at 12:15 arriving at EWR 10:40pm. There are other flights but they all arrive after midnight (a Delta flight with a 4 hour layover). United look to have a few flights leaving after then so at least there are some options if the first flight is missed. EWR is not my first choice airport but all the JFK flights arrive after midnight.

The other route we are looking at is via Honolulu on Hawaiian. This is about $500 cheaper, but has two overnight flights and a 5 hour layover on the way there, plus an overnight stay on the way back.

I would be interested to hear feedback from fellow antipodean travellers to NYC especially if they have either travelled via Hawaii or had a tight connection at SFO.

Also, for other travellers through SFO, what has your experience been with the amount of time it takes to transit. I have done it 4 times but each had a longer layover, so didn't really pay attention to the amount of time it took (but know it wasn't as bad as LAX...)

thanks in advance for any info and sorry for rambling!

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland to NYC

Not a Kiwi but done this trip using both routes and would suggest in the interest of saving money and tight connection times using the HNL route as you would enter the US at HNL allowing much quicker connection times at SFO(as you will be a domestic passenger) for NYC

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland to NYC

Sorry would like to add 5hrs at HNL in the scheme of things is not a hardship compared to 2-3hrs at SFO

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland to NYC

Hi McNs,

The husband and I did MEL-AKL-SFO-JFK in 2009 and I have a feeling we took a flight at about 1600 from SFO to JFK. Possibly that flight doesn't exist anymore, but you're right, it gets you in about midnight. However, the advantage of that was that there was very little traffic getting to the hotel. I don't remember there being an earlier option, but it could be that we decided to take the later connection 'just in case'.

Personally I would be a bit cautious with only 2 hours to get through US border processes. Up until last year all my previous arrivals at SFO have been really quick (all coming off that Air NZ flight that arrives around midday). However last June I think it took over an hour to get through passport control.

When we flew onto New York, I can't remember if we had to collect our bags and drop them off again or if they were checked through. Collection and drop-off might have been a completely different flight. Perhaps someone else might know.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland to NYC

I'd opt for overnight flights wherever possible for long haul - assuming you are a person who can sleep on planes! I much prefer to snooze the hours away, than have hours of sitting uncomfortably, and being aware of it!!! (Assuming you are flying economy).

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
858 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland to NYC

Just booked tonight on Hawaiian. About $700 cheaper than airnz, plus darn it a compulsory overnight stay on the return leg swung it for us.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,190 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland to NYC

The only time I had a refuelling in Hawaii, I have to say - its a beautiful airport. Lots of shrubs and greenery around the place.

7. Re: Auckland to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22