We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

Hi Guys, I need your advice here.

I went on a oversea tourist holiday trip early this year, and on arrival, one of our baggage is missing. We contact their customer service straight away, and they tell us that they will look for it and sent it to us. Because we are on a tourist trip and are changing hotel everyday, they agree to sent it straight to our hotel.

However, during the whole trip they were not able to find our baggage.

Because our clothing and essentials are all in the baggage, we have to find places to buy new clothing during the trip. (We also went to snow mountain area so we need to buy suitable clothing as well.)

We fill out and send them the claim form and recorded every receipt of items we required to buy during the trip.

When we back from the tourist trip, 24 days after our baggage is lost, We contact them asking them whats going on, That's when they reply that they had found our baggage. They agree to pay us a compensation for baggage delay for a maximum of $150.

However, our baggage is found after 21 days, shouldn't we been entitle to baggage lost claim? At least for all the clothing essential that we required for the trip?

We had contacted Emirate but they refuse to comment. What do you guys suggest we should do?

Thanks.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,473 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

As far as I'm aware baggage isn't officially lost until after a specified period which I think is 21 or 28 days and the compensation for delayed baggage is specified under the airlines terms & conditions.

In this scenario I would be claiming under my travel insurance.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

Hi TomC97,

Our baggage is found after 21 days. (25 days to be exact)

Doesn't this mean that we can request the claim as a baggage lost claim rather than the baggage delay claim that they agree to us?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

I assume you got your luggage back, so it is not lost.

Claim on your insurance.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

Granted that's a long and no doubt very inconvenient delay but it's not lost baggage if you eventually received it. Your travel insurance should cover you for the resulting costs, and thats who you need to pursue for re-imbursement of those costs.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

You can claim for all the items in your luggage at 21 days, when the bag is normally declared irretrievably lost. As your bag has been found then you won't get any compensation. The only thing you can get is the money for all the items you purchased whilst without your luggage.

England, United...
Level Contributor
11,544 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

Your baggage was delayed, not irretrievably lost. If you had to make emergency purchases for essentials, then Emirates should assist with the cost of those purchases, but you cannot duplicate a claim for those same purchases from your travel insurers.

If you claim against your travel policy, the underwriters of that policy will make a subrogated claim against the airline for their outlay and if you have duplicated your claim,and get found out, you will be asked to make amends to whichever entity settled your claim first.

I hope this helps...

7. Re: Emirates - Baggage found after 21 days, but regard as delay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:22