We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bassinet seats (Aer lingus)

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
bassinet seats (Aer lingus)

Just looking for a bit of advice re bassinet seating for a 7 month old.

We (2 Adults, 1 child and 1 infant) fly in 2 weeks time direct with aer lingus, dublin to orlando. I had initially booked ordinary seats.

Seating on the flight will be laid out 2 window, 3 aisle, 2 window so i had booked 2 window and 1 aisle (husband would not be very happy if there was no window seat for him, its like having 3 kids!)

So anyway then i discovered bassinet seating so tried to book them, i rang aer lingus to try book, rang a week later to confirm, heard nothing so rang again today to be told they had never been ordered for us (needless to say was fairly annoyed) so have ordered them for the THIRD time!

So now to the point- are they worth it? or should i just cancel altogether and just settle for original seats? if we get the bassinet seating i will have to sit with baby and dh and dd5 will have to sit elsewhere on the plane.

Or we could go back to original seats and sit beside each other (even if theres a aisle in the middle)

Sorry for the long winded post, thanks in advance!!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bassinet seats (Aer lingus)

How big is the 7 month old? I say this because the bassinets I have seen seem to be built for newborns. I would generally think a 7 month old would fit, but one of my friends had a newborn that was 11 pounds so at 7 months this child would NOT fit in a bassinet :)

After that I don't know. I personally can't imagine doing a flight that long with an infant in my arms so I would probably try for one.

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bassinet seats (Aer lingus)

My god 11lb is a whopper of a newborn! Thankfully our man wasnt THAT big!

He's big for his age, not huge or anything but as you said big if i've to hold him for 8/9 hours. I've never seen the bassinets so not sure what to do. have tried asking the staff from aer lingus for advice but they're about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, i got the impression they had never even seen one themselves.

Thanks for your help anyway!

London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bassinet seats (Aer lingus)

I was recommended to NOT use a bassinet for my daughter when she was eight months old. I'm afraid I can't remember the airline! They're only useful when the child is sleeping and a baby that can sit up on its own won't be safe in one IMO. Our first long haul flight was 11hrs and my partner and I shared holding her for that time. She slept across both our laps at some points. It was fairly unremarkable and nobody's arms fell off. :-)

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bassinet seats (Aer lingus)

Thanks AP, its hard to know what's better, at least if im sitting beside dh i can pass him off but then he mite sleep better if hes able to lie down, ughh its so hard to decide. Theres only 1 bassinet seat left on our outgoing flight so im afraid if I cancel it I will regret it.

Daytime flight means he prob wont sleep that much anyway, mite just cancel them and stick with normal seats!

London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bassinet seats (Aer lingus)

I'm a big fan of baby carriers and if you can get hold of a ring sling (do an image search on Google to see what I mean) you'd be able to have the baby sleeping on you and still have both hands free.

Having said that, since I never got to use a bassinet myself I did a little search and found this:

http://en.paperblog.com/baby-on-board-699580/

It actually looks pretty good and the (same age as yours) baby just about fits!

6. Re: bassinet seats (Aer lingus)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 07:17