We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Likelihood of Turbulence

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Likelihood of Turbulence

Hi All,

Apologies if this is on the wrong board. I was wondering how likely it is to encounter turbulence on the Dubai-Kuala Lumpur route with Emirates, and similarly how likely between Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi? My journeys will be in early March.

Thanks!

KW

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

Fairly impossible to predict.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,188 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

You are asking folks to predict weather and wind which is impossible to do.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,496 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

Given its a long flight it's likely you'll have at least a little minor turbulence. Above that might as well flip a coin or ask a magic 8 ball.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

Turbulence is impossible to predict. If you get some you have to think of it as if you were in a car going over bumps in the road.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

And pilots will try to avoid turbulence if it's predictable and changing routing and/or altitude is feasible. I'm a nervous flyer myself, IF there's turbulence (if it's calm, I love it). Last time I got nervous about turbulence was flying SEA to DTW in July, when there was a forecast of t-storms in Detroit. Flight very smooth. I've been nervous a few times, including on the last flight from Manila to Cebu as a typhoon approached, but have likely never been in anything what a pilot friend calls extreme turbulence-- enough to affect the plane's flying. You will survive.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

Why would it be any different with Emirates than any other airline????

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

Turbulence comes with flying at all times during the year, so get used to it.

And why would it be different with Emirates than any other airline??? You are still in the same steel can, but just with a different name on it.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

Yes - you will experience turbulence. How much and how bad - anyone's guess. Plan for the worst and hope for the best!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

No clue.....

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Likelihood of Turbulence

On the first leg of the flight there will be approx. 12.4 minutes of turbulence spread sporadically throughout the flight, but usually during the service of hot beverages. On Emirates, however, there will only be 11.8 minutes due to their affiliation with the powers that be.

On the second leg, however, you will only experience turbulence at times of great inconvenience. These include, while positioning yourself in the lavatory, walking down the aisle-just as you reach that old man that has been leering at you - and then as you take your first sip of coffee while wearing a white cotton top.