We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time flying questions

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time flying questions

I will be flying from Charlotte NC to Vancouver. I have a layover in Chicago. Will I have to get my bags and recheck them or will I just have to get myself to the connecting plane? Also can you buy food and take on the plane? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time flying questions

You would be able to buy food and take it on the plane. However, any liquids in carry on would be restricted to the 100 ml individual amounts and all of said containers fitting into the l litre plastic bag. So if you are going to buy a soft drink, get it after clearing security when you are at the gate. IMO, there will be no argument when you buy food and drink from the kiosks that are post security around the gate.

You will be restricted though when entering Canada. All plant, animal and food items must be declared for Canada Customs at Vancouver. They usually take apples and fresh fruit, but not trail mix, granola bars, muffins, bagels, cookies, anything cooked.

http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/toce.shtml

The first paragraph for 3-1-1 for carry ons will give you the idea:

tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,353 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time flying questions

If your flights were purchased on one ticket (through a single airline, even if one leg is a codeshare with another airline) then your bags will most likely be checked all the way through to your final destination. If you bought two separate tickets, you may have to reclaim and recheck your bags. You should either call your first airline in advance to ask, or ask at the bag check counter.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time flying questions

If you will fly from Vancouver back to CLT then one thing to keep in mind is that the airport offers US border formalities there - you will go through US immigration at YVR and fly to the States as a domestic passenger.

Depending on the time of day of that flight from YVR you will need to allow from 30 to 45 minutes for the process, something to keep in mind when planning when to arrive at the airport on departure day.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time flying questions

Bus loads of passengers from the cruise lines show up at the airport. US customs for us was easier at YVR than any other customs or immigration but you cannot speed up the process, if you are at the end of the line.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time flying questions

When I fly to the US I am at the correct end of the International Terminal, checking in, 90 min ahead of my flight for any time other than a 6 am flight. US Customs don't open until 5 am at YVR so an hour does it there. Security is the shoes off kind. The Customs conversation for me is pretty easy but whatever the line up is takes whatever time it takes.

6. Re: First time flying questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:21