We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

I'm in the process of researching summer flights from the U.S. into London and out of Paris. I found some relatively well priced tickets, including on British Air, Iberia, and Finnair. When I looked closer at the flights though I found they were all operated by American Airlines. I wasn't particularly thrilled about flying AA to begin with, but I'm also wondering how all of this worked. If I book through British Air, do I check in at the BA counter or the AA counter? If all the inexpensive tickets for many of the airlines lead back to AA, why not just book through them and maybe save a little trouble down the road if there is a flight cancellation. Would there be any advantages to booking that AA operated flight through Finnair or BA?

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
732 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

BA and AA will both show on the BA site if they both share the same route. Unless you wish to return back via LHR then an open jaw will give a mixed experience.

From the experiences of a friend who recently used AA on a LHR - JFK - Las Vagas - LHR use BA wherever possible. They may be code share partners but AA's product was found to be inferior in every way from time keeping to the attitude of crew to seat allocation to general customer care if the flight is delayed. The contrast could not have been greater. BA will apologise to passengers for delays etc whilst with AA it's tough. Shows the how different culture can affect how customer is delivered.

Waits for those who defend AA.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

I used to use AA a lot in economy, found them perfectly fine. And I could book my seats in advance for nothing.

Also you can now book extra leg room seats without having to shell out the big bucks for PE or fight for the limited bulkhead or emergency exit seats on BA.

OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

Thanks again to all who replied. The cheaper tickets available through BA on AA flights is offset by the surcharge you have to pay BA for picking seats ahead of time. Then of course there is the debate of whether or not it is worth paying extra for more legroom. I know that issue has been addressed several times in this forum.

Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

But on the plus side if you fly with BA you get free alcohol ;-) you will need it if you come to London soon as we are all having flooding issues. Just noticed you said you were coming in the summer - perhaps you will be lucky and just have drizzle ;-)

In all seriousness you are covered better with regard to delays on BA due to their code of practice. I have flown with AA and BA and found them fine. I do love the free seat choices with AA though. But you are allowed a good luggage allowance with BA particularly the hand luggage.

Diana

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

But on the plus side if you fly with BA you get free alcohol ;-)

------ free on AA as well

In all seriousness you are covered better with regard to delays on BA due to their code of practice.

------- more like due to EU261 but a very good point your flight from US to UK will be covered by that on BA but not on AA (in the other direction both are covered)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,831 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

You might with to also consider that flights with BA or any other EU carrier are fully protected by EU 261/2004 Regs in the event or delays or cancellations regardless of departure/arrival airports.

Flights with a US carrier like AA are only covered when they are departing from an EU airport.

You might not need that protection but if prices were comparable that benefit would certainly make me pick BA over AA.

OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

Good point, but then again there is the question of money. The BA web site will charge you for picking your seats ahead of time, and then charge you again if you want economy seats with more legroom?

OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

Thanks for all the responses on this thread. We purchased tickets through BA but thanks to what I learned here, I knew to look for the three digit BA flight number, as opposed to the four digit AA flight number. Mixed in among the AA operated flights, there were a few BA flight numbers.

The bottom line is we have a BA flight from Chicago to London, and an AA flight from Paris to Chicago. so it looks like we will have the protection of the EU regs going and coming. I also was able to reserve the AA seats for free and I'm trying to decide which seats I want to reserve on the BA flight (with the help of SeatGuru).

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

One final point - the comment about being able to tell whether a BA flight was a codeshare or a genuine BA flight by the number of digits in the flight number works fine for scheduled flights to/from LHR, and as OhioMac says was very helpful.

If you are looking at flights to/from LGW or LCY, it doesn't work though as all BA flights serving these airports have 4 digit flight numbers!

20. Re: American Airlines operating British Airline flights.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:20