We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

Hi there,

I'm thinking about booking a flight from Vancouver to NYC that has a 55 minute layover in Minneapolis. Do you think this is enough time? We will clear customs in Vancouver, so we won't have to deal with that. It looks like all of the Delta flights are in one terminal, so we would just have to go to a different concourse I'm guessing.

Thanks for your help!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,503 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

The majority of the time it may work. The question is do you want a 5% chance of a horror story? I'd rather allow an extra hour or two.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,639 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

Aw c'mon...is missing a connection really a "horror story"? At a hub with 15 nonstops a day to NYC?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

If your destination is NYC then why not fly there non stop? Look for inexpensive fares with Cathay Pacific, as CX888 starts in Hong Kong, arrives at YVR and offloads most pax, then continues on to JFK. Given the choice I'd rather fly in a 777 than an Airbus A319 to MSP and make a connection there, but YMMV.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,519 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

<Is it possible you've confused Minneapolis with Detroit? For the life of me I can't rmember ever seeing a train at MSP.>

Yes, there is a tram inside of security. Terminal 1 - main terminal, used to be called Lindbergh - has 2 long arms and looks a little like an "H" with one leg longer than the other. On one side is Concourse D - C - B - and A - which are connected by tram (A & B are regional jets). Concourse E is off the back right, but not Delta. The other side is Concourse F & G, but just moving walkways, no tram. There are 2 spots to get from one side to the other. Not sure where your flights usually land, but my guess is C or G. 55 min is doable, but as others have suggested, having a little more time is preferred.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 02:41
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,503 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

When you miss a connection toon in my experience it's often a weather or other problem causing a lot of displaced passengers. It's often not as easy as getting on a plane an hour later. Depending on timing it could easily mean arriving a day late. A lot of the horror stories people post on this forum come from missed connections. I've been in hub airports where passengers who missed their connection are sleeping on cots in the airport and lines at the rebooking counters are 50 deep. It's not pretty.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,503 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

When you miss a connection toon in my experience it's often a weather or other problem causing a lot of displaced passengers. It's often not as easy as getting on a plane an hour later. Depending on timing it could easily mean arriving a day late. Ultimately it depends how flexible your plans are in NYC and if you can tolerate arriving a day late.

A lot of the horror stories people post on this forum come from missed connections. I've been in hub airports where passengers who missed their connection are sleeping on cots in the airport and lines at the rebooking counters are 50 deep. It's not pretty.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,639 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

I wonder if MSP has a history of weather-related delays in early October when the OP is traveling? I wouldn't imagine they would but anything is possible I suppose.

OP, speaking of October...flight schedules change. Your 55 minute connection could possibly turn out to be more than that...or less, by the time the schedule is finalized.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

I've looked into that Cathay Pacific flight that's direct. Only problem is that it is a red eye. I've done that once before and hated it. So I'd rather not do it again.

Good point about the schedules changing.

I think I will wait for now... still plenty of time.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

I agree with IrishFan.....there is a likelihood of schedule changes between now and flight day....but so be it, out of your control.

I would book it. If the schedule stays the same (unlikely).... Then 55 mins is OK. We have connected numerous times in MSP with that time and have done well.

Weather in both YVR and MSP should not come into the mix in October.

Now, if ...or should I say when the schedule changes....you will be in the driver's seat. If the connection falls short of the 55 mins, the. You will be placed on a flight with a comfortable connecting time.....no cost to you.

I can't recall the last time I flew an original itinerary booked. The usual number of changes is about 7 or 8.... If booked 6 months or greater.

Safe travels

20. Re: 55 minute layover in Minneapolis Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20