We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

freaking out -- weather delay

NJ
Level Contributor
771 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
freaking out -- weather delay

OK -- I'm supposed to fly out Thursday afternoon. They are saying our area is going to socked with a BAD nor'easter starting Wednesday night & all day Thursday. I'm guessing air travel will be a nightmare.

I spoke to the airline today. They told me tomorrow they will make a decision about allowing people to change flights in advance with no penalties. It won't help. For work reasons, we can't leave early.

Leaving the next day -- Friday -- cuts our long weekend trip too short. If the airline is willing to refund our money, which customer service said we'd at least get credit for weather delays -- I'd almost rather just not go.

It sounds silly but I have never dealt with a significant weather issue before. Other than continuing to watch the forecast & monitor the airline's website, should I be doing anything else?

Does it matter that my flight has a layover in another city? If I can't get to the 2nd city, that should cancel the whole thing, right?

Edited: 11 February 2014, 21:55
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,351 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: freaking out -- weather delay

"Other than continuing to watch the forecast & monitor the airline's website, should I be doing anything else?"

Not a lot you can do other than wait and see what action the airline takes as a result of the weather and respond accordingly.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: freaking out -- weather delay

Continue to wait and see at this point. The weather people have been doing a terrible job so far this winter in Boston. We were supposed to get socked Sunday/Monday morning and nothing happened. Now they are saying another one for us Thursday that will run into Friday morning. I have a 7:00am flight to sunshine on Friday. I am not concerned yet. There could be a total change in the path and we could be absolutely fine by the end of the week.

Same thing happened at Thanksgiving - they cried wolf and people went willy nilly changing flights/driving and I strolled into the airport Wednesday evening and had the place to myself. The snow was absolutely nothing, and our flight took off early because the plane was mostly empty and we all were punctual in boarding.

If you want to cancel altogether, that is your choice. Make sure you know the hotel policy on cancelling too.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 22:09
NJ
Level Contributor
771 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: freaking out -- weather delay

annonymous928 -- I hope you are right . .. the storm you are talking about getting Thursday into Friday is the same one they are saying for us Wednesday into the Thursday. I guess I'll see what happens in Atlanta tomorrow . . .they are supposed to get it 1st.

Fortunately, we don't have other reservations to worry about . . . just flights.

Sigh . . . I was so looking forward to being warm for Valentine's Day. Enjoy your trip to the sunshine.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: freaking out -- weather delay

Check the airlines website. Since it's been such a bad winter, some of the policies from earlier storms may still be posted there. If so, you can at least get an idea of how they handled the earlier delays and what options might be available.

5. Re: freaking out -- weather delay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 07:19