We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

Florida, New York
Level Contributor
316 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

I own a Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" Spinner bag the dimensions are listed as: 21.5" x 14.75" x 8", I am flying an American Airline international flight and want to take this bag as a "Carry-on". Does anyone use this bag and will it pass on American as a Carry-on? I am worried it is too big. The American site says: The maximum dimensions cannot exceed any of the following measurements: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall. So it looks like it is, in fact too big even thought they sell it as Carry-on size, but I really don't want to have to invest in another bag!! Any first hand experience appreciated. Thanks.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

It makes no difference what Samsonite sold it as The deciding factor is what the airline allows

You might get away with it or you might get told it has to be checked. But of they say no you have no reason to complain, you knew it was too big

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

And by the way AA will count the wheels and handles in the measurement. So the suitcase is likely bigger then what Samsonite claims

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

"they sell it as Carry-on size"

They can call it whatever they want, but it won't matter. The only thing that counts is the dimensions of the smallest box that it will fit in. Those should not exceed the stated measurements, otherwise you run the risk of having to check it.

-JimG

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

Odds are no one will check but if they do, be prepared to gate check it.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

Any chance you could drop by an airport with your bag and see if it fits their sizer? It sounds strange, but United recently introduced new sizers and started enforcing their carry on rules. It was convenient for me to do it, so I took four different pieces of luggage to PDX and tried them out.

Result? My main carry on (exactly the 22x14x9, including wheels and handle) fit with about an inch to spare on each dimension (my personal item didn't so I bought a new one). So if you were flying United that extra 0.75" would be okay, just.

If not, try posting on American's FlyerTalk page. They may know, and they should know if AA is enforcing (though of course you should always assume they are).

Edited: 12 February 2014, 02:53
Florida, New York
Level Contributor
316 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

Thanks - it's disappointing that they sell it this way and don't make sure that it will work out. I am not a frequent flier so got caught off guard. I think I will take it the local airport although they don't have an American counter - they do have Delta which says they have the same rules on their website as American. Even if I can get it on, I don't want it not to fit and to cause delays for others - maybe I will shop more carefully for a backpack and pack lighter.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

Always best to check requirements before you buy, not afterwards. Requirements can vary by airline. You can complain to the store and/or the manufacturer, but you've gotten all the info you can here.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 11:34
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

Almost all the airlines publish the same set of measurements. However, the sizers that they use at the gates are not uniform from airline to airline As USBusinessTraveller, United allows an extra inch of leeway in all three dimensions. I recently measured the Delta sizers at the Atlanta airport, and found that they allow an extra inch in length and height, but "only" an extra half inch or so in width. For all we know, the American sizers may be exact to the dimensions.

Manufacturers will tell you almost anything to get you to buy a product (this is not limited to luggage, BTW). As Sutter states, the best bet is to make sure the bag fits the required dimensions, BEFORE you purchase it. The only thing you can really trust is what your own tape measure tells you.

-JimG

Alberta
Level Contributor
660 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

My new carry on had to be returned. The measurements given on the luggage, including wheels, were off by as much as 2 inches on one side. I returned it and have a small tape measure in my handbag for next time I think I find the perfect one. Recently one of the airlines I fly with changed their luggage rules, which makes my current carry on 1 inch too long. I've been using a backpack with that airline, but I find it gets heavy when you have a layover that turns out to be hours due to weather delays.

Port of Spain...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Samsonite Hyperspace "Carry-on" too big for American?

were you able to use this carry on after all?

I will be travelling soon on AA and was hoping to learn from your experience

thanks in advance!

grateful for any assistance!