We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! --food suggestions from home

Level Contributor
229 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! --food suggestions from home

Hello

Looking at 2 separate ( 5 hour + flights ) same day . Sure , we can buy airplane/airport food , but just looking for something safe ! ( other than a boring sandwich ) to bring from home .

Flying from Toronto to Hawaii , so between Canada and the U.S . there are restrictions . Also this would be cold so----( samosas , chicken wings , pierogies, ) would not be great . Also thought of vegetarian sushi .

All you frequent fliers out there , what would be your suggestions , ideas , favourites ?

Many thanks too !

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

My suggestion is to please be courteous and do not bring anything with garlic or anything smelly. You'll be eating your food in very close proximity to other people. Thank you. Chuck.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

I think anything cooked that's served in the airport will be much safer than something you prepared at home and then is carried around in varying temperatures for hours.

If it's just a question of not liking airline food, bring simple sandwiches.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

So airline / airport food is not safe? Please expand on this point, I'm confused.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

What's 'vegetarian sushi' - is that like carrot sticks?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

Use a good insulated bag

Scotch Egg, a gourmet one.

Cook some of your favourite tasty sausages, freeze them and take them frozen and by the time you are in the air they will have defrosted .

That also goes for other food items

Fried rice and a sachet of soya sauce , can be eaten cold.

Mix with some sweet and sour sauce before leaving, very tasty but will not overwhelm fellow passengers, curry not a great idea but that's up to you.

Many oriental style sauces can be bought in sachets less than 100mls and you can add them to cooked rice or noodles either before flying or in the air.

A nice quiche again chill really cold or even freeze if suitable for the freeze thaw method.

Chicken strips wrapped with Parma ham

Make an interesting sandwich?

Dried fruit

Cook some strips of streaky bacon slowly in the oven so they go really crispy, crispy smoked bacon enhances almost anything even a boring airline sandwich.

A couple of boiled eggs and some salt

Plenty of sachets of mustard ketchup etc

Why can't you take chicken wings?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

"What's 'vegetarian sushi' - is that like carrot sticks?"

Bits of cucumber wrapped in rice from what I've seen. :-)

OP, You need to check with US Customs and Agriculture. Those food items (the meat products) would not be permitted through inspection if coming from overseas. I don't know if any of those rules are relaxed if entering from Canada.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,890 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

I've taken small pots of fresh raspberries, blackberries and blueberries and containers of carrot sticks as nibbles on transborder flights and have had no aggro from the US agents who've acknowledged the declaration of the goods on my blue customs cards; this on several flights from YVR.

If you'd rather have something hot on board the flight and don't want to buy a Tim Hortons soup, tea biscuit, drink and doughnut meal deal, take a tub of instant porridge or noodles and ask crew to top it up with hot water. Sturdy muffins such as bran or carrot and sultana tend to travel better than more fragile muffins and if they're made with fruits and nuts pack more nutritional value than other cake-y types of snacks.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

I love Tim Hortons coffee.

Never had his soup what is it like?

I take it that's its not that great.

Yea I forgot about the customs paranoia about bringing in meat

So freeze some tasty slabs of cake

But not the Dundee type cake

the fruit in the cake might set the alarms ringing too

Level Contributor
229 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

I absolutely LOVE these immediate suggestions ! Boiled eggs were once taken on a flight , and during the interm everyone requested , ( except husband ) , who waited for the peanut/ pretzel ( salt ) which I did not bring , to finally surrender. Our young son was absolutely horrified at the thought of the sulphur egg smell , so yes I do appreciate that thought also . Just looking for something absolutely different .

Thank you !

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! --food suggestions from home

Plunge your boiled eggs when they are done straight from the pan immediately into very cold water

You won't get the black ring around the yolk and no sulphur smell

Also if you crack them at the round end at the same time as an additional measure that releases the gas that causes the black ring.

Popcorn

Edited: 18 February 2014, 08:32