We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baked goods in luggage?

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Baked goods in luggage?

My husband is flying to California for a reunion with his siblings and I'm not able to join him. I wanted to make a bar cookie that is one of his siblings' favorites for him to bring, but I need some input about how I should pack it and whether he should put it in his carry-on or checked luggage. (He will have one layover along the way and be changing planes.)

The home-made treats would be in two 8x8 inch aluminum foil pans with plastic lids, sealed in plastic wrap and aluminum foil to keep fresh. Would something like this possibly be confiscated if it was in hubby's carry-on or would it be unwrapped and made a mess of if security wanted to see what it is in his checked luggage? I'd hate for it to be ruined or worse-- have his clothing ruined by melted chocolate icing.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

I can see no reason that he shouldn't take them in his carry on. As you say you wouldn't want them ruined in checked baggage (or lose them if baggage goes astray).

Can't see why they would be confiscated other than if you have used cocaine for icing sugar. Which I am sure you haven't.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,993 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

I take home made cookies in tins as a carry on all the time. Would not check them as they are more likely to be shaken and broken.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

The "cookie" I make is really more of a Rice Krispie Treat with icing and I thought they would travel better pressed into 2 8x8 foil pans. I know a tin might be more protective, but these treats are sticky and difficult to pack in a tin. Thanks for your replies, wes032 and MrMarcoos-- I'll be sure my husband puts them in his carry on.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,531 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

I think TSA now have 'Tasting Officers' and any persons carrying baked itens must declare it for sampling. I heard that if your baked item isn't at least rated 7 out of 10, for taste, texture and consistency, there is a chance your husband may not be allowed to exit the airport.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

LOL, KVE1005!!!

When my family would go through Canadian customs years ago to a vacation cottage in Ontario when I was a child, we often thought the customs agents were on the lookout for some good New Jersey corn and tomatoes and would confiscate ours. We imagined them having an extra delicious dinner at their homes that evening. :-)

Maybe I'd better set a couple of extra treats aside for the TSA Tasting Officers to sample!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

When we visit my daughter in Beirut flying with Pegasus airlines we take some gluten free home baked treats because it is difficult for her to get gluten free treats over there, so we frequently pack cakes, fruit and vegetarian pies, and gluten free soya meatballs - not in sauce. Have never been searched yet.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

Your biggest risk might be your husband getting peckish and sampling on the way ;-)

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

Wow, monroeessex-- It's good to know you've had no problems bringing all those goodies to your daughter!

As helshaw mentioned, my biggest problem may be the treats even making it to my husband's siblings if he can't resist sampling them along the way.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,531 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

I wonder how the daughter feels, receiving crumbs and empty tins everytime her parents visit?

Edited: 19 February 2014, 00:41
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baked goods in luggage?

I think that something like a Tupperware container would be more rigid than the foil containers.