We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time layover in Chicago airport

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time layover in Chicago airport

Hello, we will be going to New York from Vancouver with a 50 minute layover in Chicago on United Airlines. I've never had to do a layover and was wondering what you have to do? I'm assuming our luggage will be transferred by United to the other plane and we just make our way to the other terminal? Now I'm fretting that 50 mins might not be enough and we might miss our connection? Can anyone please advise?!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,140 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time layover in Chicago airport

You have US Immigration & Customs pre clearance in Vancouver so you arrive at ORD as a domestic passenger and all you have to do is walk to your departure gate - 50 minutes should be ok but a bit longer would be advisable in winter months.

Edit - After check in at Vancouver you wont see your bags again until NY.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 23:14
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,719 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time layover in Chicago airport

50 minutes will be fine as long as your first flight is on time. Just walk, fairly quickly, to your new gate. If it's all on United, they use T1 and T2 and you can walk between all the gates without going outside security.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time layover in Chicago airport

Thanks a lot for your replies!! I'm much more reassured now.....fingers-crossed for no delays.

4. Re: First time layover in Chicago airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:16