We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines premium economy?

monda
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
United Airlines premium economy?

Hi, I have booked United economy seats on a Edinburgh/Newark flight but have just looked and it would only be an extra $109 (about £67) pp each way to upgrade to premium economy.

Do you think it is worth the extra? We can certainly afford it but I normally prefer to pay the minimum on the flight and spend the extra at the destination.

The main reason I am considering it is because I actually turn 40 somewhere over the atlantic on my return so I thought better seats would be nice!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines premium economy?

Better seats because you turn 40? Not why I would book them to be honest.

I prefer the extra size of the seats and the fact that they are towards the front of the cabin.

monda
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines premium economy?

Better seats because you turn 40? Not why I would book them to be honest.

It is my actual birthday whilst on board and I just thought it would be an extra "treat" for myself really!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines premium economy?

"Do you think it is worth the extra?" - I'm afraid only you can decide that, some will say yes, others will say no.

In my opinion the cost is worth it for the extra legroom on a long haul flight but it depends on your assessment of the cost v benefits.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines premium economy?

The extra few inches of leg room are great for longer flights. The seats are the same size. They are simply further from the seat ahead of you. I believe EDI-EWR is a 757. Avoid the window and middle seat seat of the exit row as the emergency slide blocks some of the leg room forcing you to angle, usually into the middle seat's space. The aisle seat however, is one of the best Y seats on the plane... as long as you don't want to have underseat storage.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
580 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines premium economy?

Well, Happy Birthday to you! I'd pay extra for the seats.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines premium economy?

I would not. Seems a lot for a bit of extra leg room. If spend the money on a nice birthday meal or some other treat at your destination. But as other poster says, it's up to you. You'll get both yes and no responses as it's a matter of personal preference.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 14:11
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines premium economy?

It's the same seat in the same economy cabin just a few inches more legroom. It's nothing like business class of premium economy on most other carriers where it's a completely separate seat and cabin.

8. Re: United Airlines premium economy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:20