We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bags on tickets bought seperately?

Helena, Montana
2 posts
Save Topic
Bags on tickets bought seperately?

I'm probably over thinking this but I figured I should double check. The situation: I am traveling to Argentina with a group of medical volunteers out of Montana. The organization leader bought tickets for the group. However the flight leaves from Salt Lake City and returns to Salt Lake. So, part of the group is driving from Montana to SLC and a few of us (myself) bought tickets from montana to SLC and back. We are bringing alot of equipment with us so each memeber has to check to pieces of equipment. My question is: Can I check the two pieces of equipment when I get to SLC or should I check them from Montana to SLC?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

Are you flying on 2 separate tickets?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

Unless your first airline is able and willing (two different things) to check it all the way, you'll have to check it twice.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

Names of airlines also important

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

If in doubt, call the airlines.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

Which airlines?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

"So, part of the group is driving from Montana to SLC and a few of us (myself) bought tickets from montana to SLC and back."

Without details of the flight arrival/departure times you could be risking the flight from SLC to Argentina - with separate tickets the ticket to Argentina will probably be cancelled, including the return leg, if you fail to check in on time etc because of a delay or cancellation with your flight to SLC.

There are exceptions that might apply if you're flying with AA or a OneWorld partner as they treat separately ticketed flights as through tickets.

Helena, Montana
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

Sorry, the itinerary is Delta from HLN to SLC then Delta from SLC to JFK and then Aerolineas on to Buenos Aires. The HLN to SLC leg was bought separately from the SLC-JFK-Buenos Aires. I am going to check the two pieces of luggage when I get to SLC. The flight times all work out good. Even if the flight from HLN to SLC gets cancelled, I would have enough time to drive to SLC to make the flight to JFK.

I'm just curious if checking the bags in SLC will be a problem.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

group of medical volunteers ........................Maybe if the airline know this they would be willing to help out? Just a thought.

9. Re: Bags on tickets bought seperately?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:19