We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

Some cities in the world are generally cheaper to fly in to - just to get you there and then make your way to wherever you want to actually be for cheaper than the alternative flight cost, if that makes sense? Does anyone know which cities in Europe would generally be the cheapest options to fly into from Sydney? Flight comparison sites only compare different rates to a selected destination, not to other destinations in that area (eg. various cities in Europe). Thanks!

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

Dublin springs to mind as currently the Air Passenger Duty is 3 euros (soon to be Zero) and airlines tend to pass on this saving to passengers in the form of lower fares, mainland UK (any city) you have to pay the second highest rate( and rising) in the world

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

There are no direct flights from Sydney to Dublin.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

This site allows you to type in a many arrival cities as you like.

Generally I have found Istanbul/Rome to be cheap options, and if you fly china eastern or southern to most of their European cities you will get a good rate.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,853 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

From what I've seen London Heathrow is one of the cheapest. As the largest international airport you see (a) lots of carriers competing, which keeps fares low, and (b) economies of scale, you can serve more passengers per employee at the station.

But, one thing would be to visit the Wikipedia pages for DOH, DXB and AUH. Then look at the European cities served by QR, EY and EK and price those.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 02:39
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

Dublin is cheap and so is Rome ... we have left from Rome a couple of times to save a few hundred dollars even though we catch the same Qantas flight at Heathrow which is dearer.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 03:11
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

Well flying with Qantas is almost NEVER the cheapest option and flying back from Rome to LHR is just crazy IMO.

Last year we flew back from Rome to ADL with Emirates via Dubai. It was relatively cheap and we didn't have to backtrack. or catch an extra domestic flight when we got to Aus.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

<< flying back from Rome to LHR is just crazy IMO.>>

Really? We were already in Rome.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

I think I must be misunderstanding you. Did you not fly from Rome to LHR to SYD? which was the route QF flew before the tie up with Emirates.

Now you can book a QF/EK codeshare which will take you FCO-Dubai-SYD

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

That was pre Emirates ... you only had the choice of Heathrow or Frankfurt with Qantas. When planning to see a few countries we left Italy until last both times as it was considerably cheaper ... but it worked out that way traveling across from Amsterdam anyway. The same Qantas flight back was cheaper from Rome than Heathrow, I believe it's to do with taxes and airport fees and only being able to charge them once when leaving the Schengen zone.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 04:06
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest City in Europe to fly to from Sydney, Australia?

Yeah BUT you had an extra flight AND it was to LHR - that is why I think it was crazy!

AND there are/were cheaper options